MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased some sideskirts for my ZR. Cost £100 and they are the right colour so not bad i thought. I read that I should by the fixings from MG which are about £15 but does anyone know how much a garage might charge to fit these?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Dunno about the fixings bro but u mite still wanna get them sprayed so you get a perfect colour match. Fair enuff its gonna cost ya a bit more but will make difference, dont u think???

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
You should be able to fit them yourself. They bolt on under both arches and stick onto the sill. I think they use car exterior sticky pads. Clean the surfaces with something like white spirit to remove any grease and you should be fine. Although I havent done it myself, someone might know better.

·
Registered
ZR 105 (IAB) ZR+120 (HQM)
1,369 Posts
If they didn't come with any fixings you will need:

DDJ000380 & DDJ000390 Kit- Exterior Trim ; These are the plastic end brackets that attach the skirts to the inside of the wheel arches. There are two in each pack; one pack fit the offside, the other pair the nearside. They use self-tapping screws to hold them on. They fit to two of the screws which hold the wheelarch liner in place so no drilling involved. :)

2xDYN000040 Tape ; This is the double sided foam tape which sticks the upper edge of the skirt to the side of the car (fractionally below the door sill). You will need 2 rolls as one is not enough. You will also need to clean the sill thoroughly to remove all traces of polish.
MGR sell what the call an 'Adhesive Promoter Pen' to help the sticky tape adhere. It is very expensive (about £20) so i wiped the paint lightly with cellulose thinners instead. (So far they have stuck (about 7 months), but some people have had their skirts come unstuck, so you may be better off getting a tube of Bond from a bodyshop and using that instead of the tape).

DDQ000050 Clip - Sill Finisher Retaining ; These are in packs of 10 and hold the flange on the bottom edge of the skirt to the flange under the sill of the car. MGR only fit 3 on each side in the factory, but you may as well use 5 each side and hold the skirt firmer. They just knock on with a hammer. :up:

The end brackets, tape and clips will cost about £50 to £60 from a MG-Rover dealer.

Sorry its a bit long. Hope it helps. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
End brackets and clips are about £50 from a dealer, make sure you get a left and right fixing brackets.

Mustang did mine and used a tube of bond rather than the tape, and I've had no probs.. :up:

·
989 Posts
just a quick note for you lot....

you fit the skirt with that double sided foam and theyll get pinched sooner or later... have you seen how easy they are to pull of. its a piss take. get sum no more nails or summit and get a shit load of screws in. I would suggest blendning them on with fiberglass but if you dont no what ya doing dont bother.

·
CheeseKitten
16,588 Posts
Man in the Car said:
but some people have had their skirts come unstuck, so you may be better off getting a tube of Bond from a bodyshop and using that instead of the tape).
Agreed, I had that problem...

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just ordered The Kit, Tape and Clips think its going to be somewhere around £65 to £70 and it will be in stock on Tuesday. Sounds like they are quite easy to fit so i'm going to go for it myself. Will probably. I'm going to bond it too to make sure its a tight snug fit!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got these fitted and I was impressed at how easy they went on... Thanks for the help guys i'll get some pictures up as soon as i can..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts