MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
LU HG
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently had a zr and it is under warranty until jan 06.

The problem i'm having is that selecting 1st is not a easy slip into gear, and takes alot more force than the other gears,

and Reverse sometimes doesn't slip all the way in alot of the time.

Is this something I should live with or is it something I can have sorted under my warranty?

Cheers
Mitch.

·
Registered
119 Posts
???

i fink all zeds are like that, i cant rember what its called but its sumthing that stps you putting the car in 1st when your going to fast and same as reverse
, im sure someone here has a beter explanition of this 8-[

·
Banned
14,285 Posts
i've never had a problem with 1st but reverse is a shitter! i usually pmp the clutch, or put it into 2nd then 3rd, then it slides into reverse!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
reverse is a common problem - normaly fixed by just putting back into neutral and letting the clutch back out then trying again.....

if you hav lots of probs with 1st / and or 5th it maybe a dodgy synchromesh

·
Registered
184 Posts
i find putting it into first then reverse works well as for first i have the same prob i think its just one of those things.

·
Registered
556 Posts
It was always a problem for the 1.4's with their R65 gearboxes.

Not sure if it is the same with the newer Getrag boxes.

Those with the PG1 shouldn't suffer the problem as it is a much better gearboz all round.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Stu said:
It was always a problem for the 1.4's with their R65 gearboxes.

Not sure if it is the same with the newer Getrag boxes.

Those with the PG1 shouldn't suffer the problem as it is a much better gearboz all round.
I do.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
PG1 rules....... :D no probs here althou it does scream when i put it into reverse/ make a nnnnnnnneerchhh

·
989 Posts
mike4 said:
i struggle putting mine into 1st if im going to fast!
probably because it isnt ment to go into first when going fast ... if u let the clutch back up you would probs burn ya gear box out. WHo watched top ger where he changed down into second at 120mph !!! car basically said fuck that i aint doing nout else and restricted all the performance haha

But yeah on mine itll only go into first if im doing below 10mph and reverse always seems to be a ass hole. you have to put it in reverse and then bring the clutch out a tiny bit until it sort of drops into place.

if ive just pulled up and selected reverse, if i went to reverse strait away it would probs pop out of gear.

yep r25 and mgzr gear boxes are shit. lol

·
763 Posts
i know its not meant to go into first when going fast, but it sucks i have to practically go to a stand still before slottinbg it into 1st

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I have no problems with 1st or reverse (unless still moving forward crunch crunch grrrrrrriiiiiind). If you dive like the h/way code says you should be in 1st before you reach cirtain obsticles but you should idealy be under 10mph unless you double-de-clutch (like a 1st gear corner on a track).

·
Registered
278 Posts
To be honest in normal driving there aren't that many times I want to change into 1st at above 10 - 12 mph.

Double de-clutching use to be a really necessary skill, when synchro wasn't as good, but with present gearboxes for 90% of the time all it does is sound pretty cool - and waste expensive fuel!!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Im pleased i stumbled across this thread....i also have a few probs with first and reverse....thought it was me!!

And Andyk was sure it was my poor reversing skills....na na na na na \:D/

·
2,039 Posts
GSXR said:
Im pleased i stumbled across this thread....i also have a few probs with first and reverse....thought it was me!!

And Andyk was sure it was my poor reversing skills....na na na na na \:D/

mmmmmmmm :-^ :-^ :-^ :-^ :wink: :D :D :D

·
LU HG
3,487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ZRVic said:
i've never had a problem with 1st but reverse is a shitter! i usually pmp the clutch, or put it into 2nd then 3rd, then it slides into reverse!!
I've found that this helps.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts