·
Registered
12,564 Posts
that is actually cheap

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may be closer to £1.5 Billion it seems.

Lets hope they can now get on and produce some new models.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
krizr said:
the first ever heard of - a chinese co. taking over a western countries car co. is this a good thing??? :-k
no, we just lost another british car manufacturer

·
Registered
556 Posts
Now please go and read it all again. MGR has been sold to absolutely nobody.

A new venture (ie company) is to be formed with MGR owning 30% and SAIC 70%. SAIC will own 0% of MGR.

Admittedly, the new cars will be developed as part of the joint venture and therefore hold the intelectual property rights, but that is about it.

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
Stu is right, MG Rover and the longbridge facility et al.. is still owned by Pheonix Venture Holdings and remains 100% British.

The new venutre is about developing new models that both companies can use in their native markets... and MGR just so happen to have one ready in terms of the R45/MGZS replacement.

This news is not new, the talks have been going on for at least 6months... I know for one that I mention it on this forum every time someones convinced we're getting a re-badged Proton!

MGR have the design experiance and capability, SAIC have the money and both have manufacturing ability.

In laymans terms, MG-Rover get access to £1bn of cash to design models for their own use, and for the use of Shanghai Automotive!

So what does this mean to you and I?

Hopefully it means that the new 45 and ZS models are just around the corner, and other projects (ZR) can soon follow!

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
Yeah I hear it on news, throughout the night.....though i understood it as nothing had been comfirmed as yet...and all the bods were still in talks.

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
Also very true... until MGR make an official press release, there is far too much speculation :D

I'll post it up when I get it

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stu said:
Now please go and read it all again. MGR has been sold to absolutely nobody.
ooOOOooo!! :)

Yeah it seems its more of a co-operation thing. So why did the BBC News open with "MG Rover sold to a Chinese company"?

·
Registered
556 Posts
GSXR said:
Yeah I hear it on news, throughout the night.....though i understood it as nothing had been comfirmed as yet...and all the bods were still in talks.
Nearly, but not quite. The deal is all but done. People have been assigned tasks in getting it off the ground on a technical level already. The main point that is holding it up is that it has to be approved by the Chinese government. As far as MGR and SAIC are concerned it is a done deal.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hope not Keith but apparently every new Rover will come with an added extra,it will be a 24/17 and a No 42 with Egg fried rice,.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This was also in the paper a few days ago.

It's a joint venture, not a take over they say. Shanghai motors will be letting MG use their 4x4 which will be rebadged, reddesigned here and there and sold as an MG!
Apparently they will know by the new year, but according to the journalist this deal could make or break MG Rover :(

Not sure HOW accurate it was but it seems in line with what has been mentioned on here. They also say the TF Coupe is NOT definitely going in to production but most likely will as they need more models on the market, and the 75 CONCEPT future is undecided also but if they both go ahead BOTH models will be in showrooms by late 05 early 06! :D

·
Registered
556 Posts
The possible 4X4 deal is with Tata, not SAIC.

And yes the fact the TF and 75 Coupe's are "concepts" means exactly that. No gurantees either will make it into production.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Quote from the article

"The top secret model will be one of the first results of MG Rover's partnership with China's biggest car firm, Shanghai Automotive.
It will be a redsigned and re-engineered version of the Rexton, a 4x4 produced by Korean Firm Ssang Yong, who were recently taken over by Shanghai Automotive".

Again, not sure how accurate this is but it all makes sense!

:-s

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
Stu - djpacif is right, the 4x4 will be based on the Rexton, produced by Ssang Yong! Several transporter loads have already made their way to Longbridge...

However, rumours (and I dont know how well founded these are) are that they've let some former Land Rover staff at it and even managed to shoe horn the 4.6 Mustang V8 into it from the ZT260! WHat it does sound like is that there will possibly be the chasis being sent over and the remainder of the construction is to be done here in the UK.

Sounds more promising that the old ShittyRover re-badge.

·
Registered
556 Posts
You are right.

I seem to have gotten into my head that Tata bought Ssang Yong, not SAIC.

But yes, although from what I have been told, this is not part of the JV company at the moment is just a rebranding exercise and will go ahead regardless of the JV getting approval.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts