MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi guys i wonder if you can help i am 17, a big fan of the MGZR however i cant afford one and the insurance to go with it due to my age.

i am gettin a rover 200 1.4si 104bhp on about an R reg, which is similar design to the rover 25 and rover 25 is MGZR pretty much with minor mods as you probably no.

When i get the rover 200 i want to convert the front lights or preferabley the bumper to give it the twin spottys to make it look like THE MGZR,
i no the cars are similar but the rover has normal strate lights placed on top of bumper were as MGZR lights are twin spot lights place inside bumper as you no.

whats the best thing to do.
to round it up. i want rover 200 to look like MGZR at the front (eg, lights)

thanks guys i hope you can help me on this.

Click link below to see front of ROVER 200
http://members.lycos.nl/mikeyrubens/hpbimg/rover 200 -.jpg

Click link below to see Front of MGZR
http://www.mgcars.org.uk/cambs.mgoc/images-mgx/kittensZR.jpg

·
Registered
314 Posts
you will find it very hard to convert a 200 to a zr if i remember correctly as many of the fittings are waaay different.

I dont know a lot about this area but I dont think the ZR bumper and lights fit straight to a 200 and I am not sure if you can get them to at all?...... best bet is to go for a 25 and convert it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ye i no the 25 is a perfect car to go for, however i cant afford one. im 17. saving all my hard earned cash mostly for insurance premiums.

but yes the 25 is verry much the same. dont you agree.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does anybody no were you can get front light eye lids or covers etc, then maybe i could get twin spot light ones that fit over. give it a twin spotty look.
not the smae. but would do.

thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
nooooooooooo, i dont wana wait lol..
i cant i love my cars, i want the rover 200. i checked with my insurance. the onlt thing they will put insurance up pn is bigger wheels ans sjkirts and flaired arches.
spoilers exhaurst our fine(unless performance)
nay guys no any cheep ways to insure rover 200.

thanks

·
Registered
102 Posts
There is a Place in Birmingham that does the Full MGZR front and rear conversion for £1200 all inclusive.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for that. however i havnt got that type of money. the car i am getting is only 1200 pound.
im on budget im not to bothered abut the back beause ots pretty much same anyway.
however i just want spottys on front weather it be bumper,
or ever just light caps to put over the lights that are standard to give it spotty style. it dont have to be 100%
you no just as long as its ok. it can be unique also, dont have to look exact like mgzr at front.\
thanks

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I've not done the convertion but have modded my rover 200.

Get it colour coded then go from there. Most body panels on the front will need to be changed though, both wings, bumper, grill, headlights and bonnet. You would then need a rear spoiler, bumper and door mirrors. Then you have got to think about geting the panel colours to match, so essentially a full respray will be needed to make it look right. So outside looks great, then you have to do the seats, door cards, gear knob, dials and the fake wood bits banished. So that is your basic Zed.

Next Wheels and Tyres, then the ICE, not to mention zorst, induction, chipping, lowering etc. With all that money put into your rover in the longrun a zed would be cheaper. A suggestion is buy the rover run for a few years to get a decent NCB and a bit more money, then you might be able to afford a Zed if MG offer free insurance.

To be honest I am in a similar boat to you, can't afford a Zed but want the car. However if you put some decent wheels and tyres, and lower a R214 it drives brilliantly. Not quite as sharp as the Zed. I've got plans to do some zed stuff to my car but once i get down to deoranging the headlights, and put some shiney bits on I think it will look much more aggresive than the Zed. That is my humble opinion though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yer i no what u mean, i would want to go all the way getting it identical. juyst so that to the average person it looks like a zed. so all it really needs is fron changing and a spoiler and new badgers. there u have it, someone who aint got a clue. thinks its A ZED.

however i dont really wana change front round either. i dont mind back but front god its a lot to do.

i need somewere that makes front light lids. you no that cover the lights up and just leave the spotty tyle lights. then ill tyekle of rover grill take of grills and mesh it. same with bumper.
look unique.
may look shit
ill soon see.

any idea were you can get light covers thou.
thanks

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
Fibreglass it yourself, cos the ones for the r200 from autosport are awful. My only suggestion is go to moto-build.com and see what they can do for you.

G

·
Rather than go for the ZR conversion why not go for something a little more radical? There are some nice front end kits about that can give you twin headlamps.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I am 18 and just bought an MG ZR. Do a past plus course from your driving instructor, acts like a years no-claims, knocked £800 of my insurance!! Well worth £150 and a few hours out of a week!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts