MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine owns a Rover 216, its only done 13k miles, he paid 1000 pound for it about a year ago. Things were going fine, the engine ran fine and everything worked correctly. However, after 6 months the engine started making unhealthy sounds when put in gear and the gear stick was jolting like it never had before when the clutch was pulled up.

This however, was start of a bigger problem. At the moment now, we are at the point that the car is un-usable. First trip of the morning its fine, but then the 2nd trip when it warms up it revs up high on its own, then cuts out, and everything smells of petrol, then it wont restart. I dont know why it wont restart afterwards, it may be that the engine is flooded. We took it to about 5 garages, who all have theories but have not been able to fix the problem. I've been told it may have been the ECU, so we got that sorted. Still the same problem, we've been told its the automatic choke kicking in when it shouldnt, but thats controlled by the ECU and thats been looked at. I've been told that the engine always things its cold, therefore its burning more fuel, the choke is kicking in, and its flooding the engine, all temperature gauges have been replaced.

I appreciate were not full on mechanics, but i said i would post this and see if anyone has had similar problems, or anyone has a theory of what it could be, because I've left 4 mechanics, in different garages, with confused looks on their faces. Thanks in advance. :cowboy:

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
It sounds like a temperature sensor not reacting or giving the wrong signals. When the engine is cold, the ECU receives signals from various air, oil and water temp sensors and adjusts the fuel accordingly, making it very rich just like a choke does on a carburetor equipped car. Unlike a manual choke, you cant adjust this fueling so if the ECU is faulty or the temp sensors are still telling the ECU it is cold, then it will fuel the engine as if it were cold which on a hot engine will cause it to overfuel and not start or if it does start the revs will be running very high.

I would have a look at all the sensors, make sure the plugs and wiring are in good condition and the contacts are clean. You could even disconnect each of the sensors (one at a time) and try starting the engine. Some of them if they are open circuit or not connected will cause the ECU to revert to a limp home mode which may help with the diagnostics.

failing any of this, get it to a garage that has test book and have it run on a diagnostic and see if test book can give any fault codes

·
Registered
58 Posts
could it be the idle air control valve, my old megane coupe used to do this and this was the problem, maybie the fuel regulator on the end of the fuel rail is nakered and not regulating the fuel so its chucking too much in and revving then flooding the engine and not being able to start, or it could be the throttle potentiometer, thinkin you have your foot flat to the floor and overfueling, try replacing them.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just replaced the water ecu sensor. It was only 7 pounds from rover parts just down the road. If that fails, then i'll have to try the lambda sensor, i went for the cheaper option first. Its unfortunate, as a rover with 13k miles isnt expected to have a problem, just unlucky i guess. I'll keep you posted, wont know if it works untill we break down. Thanks for your input, muchly appreciated!

·
Dirty user
31,429 Posts
just replaced the water ecu sensor. It was only 7 pounds from rover parts just down the road. If that fails, then i'll have to try the lambda sensor, i went for the cheaper option first. Its unfortunate, as a rover with 13k miles isnt expected to have a problem, just unlucky i guess. I'll keep you posted, wont know if it works untill we break down. Thanks for your input, muchly appreciated!
What you expect for a grand lol

·
Banned
8,794 Posts
age also becomes a factor. the car is going to be very old. just becuase it hasnt coverd many miles, doesnt mean things arent going to perish.

·
Fake Bans FTW!!!
1,482 Posts
sell me the car for £100 :D

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Is it carburetor/EFI ?

I know the old carb cars esp automatic are a mile and a half of pipework to control everything.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What you expect for a grand lol
he bought it off my 76 year old godmother, who had it from new lol. I doubt it was caused by her trying to lower it, wack an air filter on it and a turbo kit. She sold it thinking that it was a good car with low mileage, it was well looked after and was serviced every year, age does come into as its quite an old car. But the engine looks brand to when you see it. Obviously appearances can be deceiving, one of life lessons when buying a car, mileage doesn't count for everything :S Anyway! good news, the water sensor seems to have done the job so far, all is going well! will keep you posted.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Problem Solved, after all of that, it was the water sensor. 14.99 for a new one. Funny how something so small can stop everything from working correctly. Thanks for all your help guys. Appreciate it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts