MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 25GTi is about read for the Nurburgring now... ive added ready for the trip the Black 17" ZR striaghts which cam with Toyo R888 tyres in 215/45/17 size :)...brought off here a month or so back :) And then after fitting them i decided it was about time i actually lowered the car after meaning to for soooooo long now!

The black wheels isnt personally thechoice that i would go for, but its as they came with the tyres and i really couldnt be bothered repainting wheels that are for the track :) I dont think they look particularlly bad... but im sure it will look lots better once the ZS MK2 wheels are back on and sitting as low as it is now! :p

So following on from my "Banshee Order" thread, i have fitted a set of AVO lowering springs which are brand new and have come in BLACK and not RED... so see what you think...looks really low to me...but the tyres maybe making it look as though its lower than it really is?

Just to note they are fitted onto ZR 1.4/1.8 shocks and fitted no problems atall locating fully both front and rear :)

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
What other changes have you made?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
id stick the zs alloys back on they looked good on your car

and the mudflaps remove the front one or fit new ones

dannys are good
Like i say the black wheels are there to serve a purpose atm :)

Mudflaps are also there to serve a purpose...these tyres stick out a fair bit and dont half displace stones! I will see how it looks when back on the ZS rims and decide if they stay :)

Other mods are full 160 set up on thew inlet side of things to compliment the standard 143 VVC, along with a "special" ecu believed to be from a Rally ZR160. And the exhaust CAT back by Xpower (Janspeed). 160 Brake set up that just about works finally.

Still considering trying out a Piper reground Exhaust cam with offset dowels and i have a 160 Down pipe that ive removed the cat from and not fitted as of yet...although i here people have expirenced power decreases?

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
All the mechanical stuff on all VVC engines is the same the difference is mapping I would be looking at a 52mm t/b ported and polshed head with a better profile exhuast cam

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All the mechanical stuff on all VVC engines is the same the difference is mapping I would be looking at a 52mm t/b ported and polshed head with a better profile exhuast cam
Yeh sorry by the inlet side of things i meant, 52mm TB, airbox, ITG panel filter. Piper/PTP is about the best profile cam you can get from what i have seen and read.

The VVC 160 engine had slighlty higher compression (although not stated in technical litrature) due to raised piston ring lands so im told. The VVC 160 head also has circular pockets milled around both the inlet and exhaust valve seats, again to maximise airflow into and out of the chamber.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sits really well mate
you not though about sideskirts?

and yeah my mudflaps will protect your paint no problem mate but its up to you
Tbh the only reason i fitted the mudflaps was due to these tyres being wider and the tread pattern causing more stones to fly about...and i had them lying about for free lol!

As for sideskirts, i know this is a ZR forum but, mine is a 25 and so far havent tried to make it a ZR Rep, just used the odd ZR part to enhance the 25GTi :) I do quite like the idea of it being a bit of sleeper, especially as Joe Bloggs on the street still thinks that the "GTi" badge is something from halfords lol :D

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
Yeh sorry by the inlet side of things i meant, 52mm TB, airbox, ITG panel filter. Piper/PTP is about the best profile cam you can get from what i have seen and read.

The VVC 160 engine had slighlty higher compression (although not stated in technical litrature) due to raised piston ring lands so im told. The VVC 160 head also has circular pockets milled around both the inlet and exhaust valve seats, again to maximise airflow into and out of the chamber.

Wel after seeing and comparing both 143 and 160 new type engines they are identical

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
duno if andy will agree with me here, but i think you'll find the main difference from the 143 and the 160 was the map on the ecu...
+1

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll find the picture at some point, but have also seen it for real about these circular pockets.

It kinda makes sense also, as the last rolling road result that i got (Emerald RR) was 151bhp... so a good 5bhp off the figure it should be, and this was running a standard 160 ECU...

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
hmm, fair enough, although i duno if they would make a massive difference, probably a couple of bhp at the most. the main thing between the 2 is the map.

the other thing is, im guessing that the 145 ps engine is a k3 and the 160 is a k4? so some slight differences there anyway.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmm, fair enough, although i duno if they would make a massive difference, probably a couple of bhp at the most. the main thing between the 2 is the map.

the other thing is, im guessing that the 145 ps engine is a k3 and the 160 is a k4? so some slight differences there anyway.
The 25 GTi used the EU3 Engine the same as the VVC 160 i.e. Tri-cut angle valve seats... and MEMs 3 the same as 160 :)

Whats this with power decreasing with Decat pipes on the VVC, reason i ask is that with expirence of VVC's in Metro's we have generally seen BHP increases... all though i am led to think that it could just be through using the 160 ECU. My Metro VVC used a MEMS 3 MY2000 143 Engine the same as my R25, fitted with a decat on a deburred MEMS 3 (160) exhaust manifold on a TF downpipe. I then fitted a 160 ECU and the engine felt far less responsive and the exhaust bark was far less noticable...so i changed back to the 143 MEMS 3 ECU and that saw the return of the bark and response :)

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
Seems strange altough I cant say I'm convinced like Kyle said 2bhp max

Tom yours will never be a 160 as the wiring for ecu is different and the map cannot be downloaded on a early style ECU

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Seems strange altough I cant say I'm convinced like Kyle said 2bhp max

Tom yours will never be a 160 as the wiring for ecu is different and the map cannot be downloaded on a early style ECU
Tbh im not overly convinced either, but having been on a few rollers and the only reliable reading being 151bhp, ive been seeking this extra bhp to reach the true "160".

The only other slight variation from the GTi to ZR160 is the down pipe on the ZR has a different connector in from the 2-1 keeping the bore diameter larger.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.