MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The missus lost her car key and immobiliser fob. Apparently it just disappeared from her handbag one day - frankly I think it's lost in there still amongst all the gubbins that you ladies like to carry around... Anyway, the local dealer quoted £93 for a new one!!!!! Holy moley! Is it possible to get them cheaper anywhere else?

·
Slacker Industries
10,951 Posts
I found some on ebay for £20, new pair....but need to be coded to my ZR...

I got quoted £105 for 2 new style fobs and the coding service...but i aint payin that!

G

·
I have got this for mine (sorry about the pix, it is from my camera phone as the batts in my camera were dead). The MG badge I added myself, but it is SO much better than the old square MG-R ones and it comes in all different colours. This one even has a little red LED that lights up when you use it. Shade under £40 AND all my other key fobs re-coded as well

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
£40 sounds good to me. Sorry but I can't see the pic (the work firewall is blocking it). Where did you get it from?

G

·
I got ot from Avon Diagnostics. They have an advert (and some pics) in the current TotalMG mag. They can send you a kit to do it all yourslef. Costs a little more and requires a deposit, but I called in as they are not far away from me, just outside Stratford-upon-avon really

·
Registered
556 Posts
It will be £30 for the fob and an hours labour to sync them.

You can get it done for less at some dealers who are willing to only charge 1/2 hours labour.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ah I see - that explains it. With the immobiliser on my old car I could sync the keyfob myself. Does anyone know if it is possible, or how to do it with the ZR? If no-one knows I might ask them how long it will take them to sync the fob and try to get them to cut down on the labour charge.

·
Registered
122 Posts
the old square type is coded to the car via radio frequency whereas the new round type is coded via barcodes. so is mpossible to do ureself

1 - 14 of 14 Posts