MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am thinkin about gettin a direct replacement air filter as the standard one doesnt help my exhaust note much. it is there but not as prominent as i want. will it make a difference to it not fussy about power gain just want the rasp really. if so which brand k&n or green cotton etc thanx guys

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
To get the maximum induction noise you will need an open filter. All of them are pretty much the same and all will suffer from heatsoak when stationary no matter how many cold feeds you attach

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Best bet is to get an enclosed airfilter mate!! Ive got a green twister but there are a few avalible! This means you get the induction noise but not to much as it is enclosed and you also get a power increase as it only sucks on cold air!

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
He said he wasnt fussed about power gain Gordy, so an open filter will give a slight power gain at the top end but will give much more sound than a closed system

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
True mate but he also says he wants a "rasp" which in my view isnt a loud noice!! And a enclosed filter isnt as loud as an open one!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sorry fellas im a bit of a novice on the technical stuff. im from the midlands he he. i want to keep the existing air box and change the filter would it have any effect. ive seen k&n replacements for 30 notes but is it worth bothering with???????????

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
hi frosty
ive got a k&n pannel filter on my zed diesel and i notice that the engine breaths a lot more easier and a sounds well like a diesel.....but i wouldnt go back to a paper mache one [-X .....im thinking of getting the new k&n enclosed filter at the moment :-k :-k :-k :-k ......

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
frosty said:
sorry fellas im a bit of a novice on the technical stuff. im from the midlands he he. i want to keep the existing air box and change the filter would it have any effect. ive seen k&n replacements for 30 notes but is it worth bothering with???????????
The replacement panel fitler will make no noticeable difference to the sound. You may notice a slightly crisper pick-up and torque and slightly free'er revving about 4000, but certainly nothing major. At best you can only expect between 1 and 5 bhp from a filter change on a 105

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
More power means more fuel means better performace but worse economy, BUT if you drive the same then you should actually get a slight improvement as you will not have to accellerate as hard to get the same performance but I reckon the jury is out on that theory

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've had a paper filter, K&N open induction kit, max power open induction kit and a K&N panel filter.

The open induction kits make your car sluggish when your engine heats up and lower fuel economy.

I got best improvements using the K&N replacement panel filter - more torque, better pick-up.

The open induction kits are very loud from outside the car, but it's an addictive noise which means you cant help but floor the accelerator....

Good for stress relief...bad for fuel bill

·
Registered
406 Posts
I've had a paper filter, K&N open induction kit, max power open induction kit and a K&N panel filter.

The open induction kits make your car sluggish when your engine heats up and lower fuel economy.

I got best improvements using the K&N replacement panel filter - more torque, better pick-up.

The open induction kits are very loud from outside the car, but it's an addictive noise which means you cant help but floor the accelerator....

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
staccato said:

Same here, I have an open K & N and I always get people turning around to see what is coming :mrsmiley:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts