MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I have noticed that the rear brakes on my car are making a nasty squealing when I drive the car when its been stood for a few hours.

Its embarrassing. Getting to the end of my road, put the brakes on to stop and it lets out this loud, high pitches squeal.

I presume it due to the discs getting a light coating of rust while standing.

Is there any way to get rid of it?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dont think they are binding. I can still push the car easily and there is no bang as the wheels move for the first time.

The noise stops once the brakes have been used and warmed up.

·
Registered
890 Posts
it doesn't have to mean they're stuck on, it could mean they're slightly rubbing against the disks, this would cause the sound. Its bloody annoying. I had it on my front disks until i changed them for the 160 set up.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That could be it then, any idea on how to stop it?

·
Registered
775 Posts
i had this ,take the pads out and put copper grease on the backs of the pads and replace everything will be silent again, ive normaly had it when fitting big alloys and you wash the car / or it rains the brakes are open to the eliments and can dry up , bit of copper grease will do ya.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, cheers guys.

How easy/hard is it to get the pads out, never done on the ZR. On my old Mini, I have to take the calipers off to get at them.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have some stuff called Copperease, you can put it on battery terminal to improve the connection. Anyone know if that will do as copper grease?

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
if its a copper colour and greasy then its ok to use.(dont get it on your hands as it goes everywhere)
the rear pads are the same style fixing as the front.remove the lower bolt and tip the caliper up then pull the pads out.......
as for the squeaking....I point the jet wash on the pads/calipers when cleaning the car...(washes all the break dust off)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts