MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering, do the earlier/later MK1's have a different roof spoiler and/or high level brake light ?

Reason I ask is that I just bought an MG-ZR brake light sticker off Ebay and the damn thing is no use !! It's not long enough and way too deep.

I just assumed they were all the same and never thought of asking first :wallb:

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
The only difference in the rear brake light is that the new ones are clear.

Earlyer attemps at 3rd brake light decals were to short but most of the companies changed thier mesurements.

If its wrong send it back!

G

·
When I got mine from radecal, it was too short. I measured mine, contacted them and got them to make me one up the right length which they did at no extra cost.

·
Formerly Trophynovabasher
3,051 Posts
I wondered what the deal was with the fin in the middle of the spoiler, I have one 120+, but two of my mates dont 105s? is it on certain models and not others or when did this change and why?..... anyone know? just curious.

·
Registered
184 Posts
TrophyNovaBasher said:
I wondered what the deal was with the fin in the middle of the spoiler, I have one 120+, but two of my mates dont 105s? is it on certain models and not others or when did this change and why?..... anyone know? just curious.
they changed it in 2004 just to make a difference i guess just so you could tell which where the original models. i like the fin one more to be honest

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
pre 03 models had the spoiler with NO spine
...but if im am correct...mg were having problems with them vibrating and so made them a wee bit stronger by adding the centre spine

·
Registered
659 Posts
3rd brake light

Somebody on EBay is selling one of the new model white hi-level brake lights and they say 'check length as there are 2 lengths' so guess it's true. The earlier spoiler was just an normal Rover 25 type with a seperate hoop added to it, the 2003 on one is moulded all in one piece so would imagine that's where the difference is?

·
3,051 Posts
oh ok, i ask cos on my 02 model i have the fin, i know the spoiler was changed before i collected it, as the original was damaged, i just wondered if i have the correct one for the year... looks not, but it doesnt matter i prefer it anyway.

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
Yes, when the rear spoiler was re-desined as part of the 03MY update, the brake light was changed as well as the 'fin' added, and the whole unit made a single integrated part, rather than 2 seperate parts, stuck together.

Since then, the other update is to make that light clear for the mk2 ZR after the initial batch were made with a red light.

As for inconsistencies about the rear spoiler... the '03MY' updates were made in November 2002 - still on a 52 plate, leading up to 2003. Thusly, some cars still run a mix of '01MY' and '03MY' spec. Other changes were the integration of the front grille, front bib and rear diffuser into the bumpers, as well as CD and cup holders and the deletion of the dash insert. The dash and carpet materials were also changed, along with the 'technical finish' effect.

Also, some earlier cars run the new spoiler due to warranty issues with the old spoiler of them comming loose and was thusly replaced with an '03MY' rear spoiler under warranty to prevent a repeat issue.

This of course doesnt include all the people who have made their own modifications ;)

Also, the original 'hoop spoiler' along with the front and rear bibs, were actually from the Rover25 GTi and were made some 2 years before the ZR was ever released.

·
3,051 Posts
a wealth of valuable knowledge, thanks.

G

·
GT said:
Yes, when the rear spoiler was re-desined as part of the 03MY update, the brake light was changed as well as the 'fin' added, and the whole unit made a single integrated part, rather than 2 seperate parts, stuck together.

Since then, the other update is to make that light clear for the mk2 ZR after the initial batch were made with a red light.

As for inconsistencies about the rear spoiler... the '03MY' updates were made in November 2002 - still on a 52 plate, leading up to 2003. Thusly, some cars still run a mix of '01MY' and '03MY' spec. Other changes were the integration of the front grille, front bib and rear diffuser into the bumpers, as well as CD and cup holders and the deletion of the dash insert. The dash and carpet materials were also changed, along with the 'technical finish' effect.

Also, some earlier cars run the new spoiler due to warranty issues with the old spoiler of them comming loose and was thusly replaced with an '03MY' rear spoiler under warranty to prevent a repeat issue.

This of course doesnt include all the people who have made their own modifications ;)

Also, the original 'hoop spoiler' along with the front and rear bibs, were actually from the Rover25 GTi and were made some 2 years before the ZR was ever released.
Dont forget the removal of the black 'anti-static' finger guard on the doors, the rear window is now bonded to the hatch without the annoying rubber seal that collects water and the under bonnet soundproofing was discontinued but now seems to be re-instated. All to do with saving money other than improving.

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
If you're going to those lengths Nick, you also forgot the '03MY' alarm changes, in which the Thatcham Cat 2 systems were replaced by the Cat 1 systems, including the internal sensor alarm becoming standard, as well as remote central door locking (an option on the base 105 previously). Parts of the alarm system were also moved and re-designed internally to the car as well, after reports of how to fiddle the earlier models were leaked onto the net. Which is why the earlier ZRs are an insurance group higher.

Other '03' range changes included the dropping of the non plus spec '120' model, and the new Kenwood stereos which changed from the revolving front head unit to the static (but removable) front. The seats were also re-designed after the original seat producer's factory burnt down, anyone trying to order Monaco seat trim at the time should remember the long wait! Matrix seating also aquired height and lumber adjustment for the driver as standard, too (i think).

ABS then became standard shortly after, with the optional extra price being tacked on and sold as the new list price.

But I was trying to keep the thread vaugly spoiler related, whilst answering 03MY spec questions that had appeared through the thread to date, giving indications of an easy way to tell an 03MY from an 01MY. :mrgreen:

No doubt you'll find another item or two I may have missed... but I dont claim to remember every change thats been made along the way ;)

G

·
GT said:
If you're going to those lengths Nick, you also forgot the '03MY' alarm changes, in which the Thatcham Cat 2 systems were replaced by the Cat 1 systems, including the internal sensor alarm becoming standard, as well as remote central door locking (an option on the base 105 previously). Parts of the alarm system were also moved and re-designed internally to the car as well, after reports of how to fiddle the earlier models were leaked onto the net. Which is why the earlier ZRs are an insurance group higher.

Other '03' range changes included the dropping of the non plus spec '120' model, and the new Kenwood stereos which changed from the revolving front head unit to the static (but removable) front. The seats were also re-designed after the original seat producer's factory burnt down, anyone trying to order Monaco seat trim at the time should remember the long wait! Matrix seating also aquired height and lumber adjustment for the driver as standard, too (i think).

ABS then became standard shortly after, with the optional extra price being tacked on and sold as the new list price.

But I was trying to keep the thread vaugly spoiler related, whilst answering 03MY spec questions that had appeared through the thread to date, giving indications of an easy way to tell an 03MY from an 01MY. :mrgreen:

No doubt you'll find another item or two I may have missed... but I dont claim to remember every change thats been made along the way ;)
Really?

GT said:

Didnt realise they were to do with the spoiler :up:

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
GT said:

And you did... well done done :zzz:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts