MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all i sold my car today and i am ready to buy a MG ZR 160 2002.
i am a little worried as all i hear from people is the head will go the head will go.
what do you all recommend?
is this a car i can rely on? i will occaisonally drive to brighton and back and fear that it will over heat and cost me a bomb?
please give me some thought to help me decide, is the ohead gasket problem as bad as peopel say or not know there are a few posts about it, but love the car justa little worried

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
I would suggest going for the Mk 2 if your budget can stretch that far as they tend to have more of the things like HGF solved... (also cheaper insurance)

·
Registered
392 Posts
Do what I did... Buy a Motorcare warranty with it! Only costs £150, and it covered me for almost £950 worth (or not worth) of repairs (or attempted repairs) when the head went on my 105. Not a problem with Motorcare at all, can't fault them! Keep the car serviced every 12k or 12 months and that's you above board!

Like any car, keep an eye on all the levels beneath the bonnet and treat it nice and you've a fun car!

Like anything, you'll hear the term HGF (Head Gasket Failure) quite a bit because people don't say "My head gasket works!" :) Besides, I'm member 7226, and there's what? 20 recent(ish) threads on HGF. 0.35% Not bad!

I say go for it! A 105 is fun to drive. I've had a drive in a ZS180 and it's amazing. My guess that is that a ZR160 would be similar.

Oh, and welcome along! :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how can i tell if its a MK2 and what did they do to combat it?
i am worried i will buy a car that i really want and it will die on me

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
how can i tell if its a MK2 and what did they do to combat it?
i am worried i will buy a car that i really want and it will die on me
TBF the ZR is no worse than any other car it's just that it got a lot of bad press.

The MK2 has all the problems corrected with the faulty dowels that cause the best part of the HG failings. IIRC they also have a bigger radiator...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i have been looking at your sigs but i cannot see them.
what year did the MK2 start in as they are alot of 2002 plates which i can afford or push to afford but if the HG is better in the MK2 i woudl prefer to try and buy one of those.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
mk2 was late 2004 onwards
a mk1 has the 2 circular headlights at the front, mk2 has the single lens headlights like the one in Jonnaz's sig above

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oh i dont think i can do 2004 oh well
what can i do to prevent HG failure, i liek the odd's of 0.3x only having a problem so might not nee dto worry as much
if i buy the car this week can i get it serviced easy enough and are parts hard to come by as people say, this car gets alot of bad press from everyone but i think its so so nice to look at

·
Premium Member
9,799 Posts
If your headgasket does go, then it most certainly isn't the end of the world... Like Jonnaz mentioned, MG Rover has bad press, but just look at all the other cars with their niggly faults... Subaru's supposedly having weak engines and french cars with dodgy electrics...

I wouldn't let HGF put you off personally :)

·
Brothers Grim
2,003 Posts
Late MK1's also had the headgasket sorted to a point, they didnt have the low coolant tank sensor or the bigger rad, but they had the uprated gasket and steel dowels, my late 03 has the new gasket and dowels.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
its this simple:
1, this is an mg zr site the most common fault is hgf so obviously you will hear alot about it.
2, i had a 105 mk2 54 plate that to be honest got sped around all over (awaits complaints) and i never had a problem apart from a temp sensor went.
3, i think with a zr like all cars they have there problems but some zr's like my last was a perfect example of a well built zr, unlike my new 2ltr td zr which has been in the garage 5 times is the 3month i have had it all for minor faults, window electrics failing, mef sensor, locks failing, window arm snapping. and a few other things.
you just have to get it checked over before buying or do what i did and get warrenty and book it in for the slightest of problems.

but dont be put off with ppl saying hgf as this is a zr site and thats the most common problem with them all depends on the car. if my ins let me i would def be the proud owner of a 160 mk2

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
Quick note I forgot to mention before;

One of our members (ZRvic) has done over 120,000 miles in her ZR (Mk1 51 reg) and not suffered HGF...

As Jay mentioned you get the odd Friday afternoon car but they are not all that bad if you but a warranty for a few hundred quid...

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
sorry to spam but jonnaz is your car damage fixed now are u on the road ??

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
excellent that my choice made then im going to buy one next week you, there are a few on autotrader 2002 ish one is £2590 (69K on clock)and another £3100 (30K) on clock dont knwo which i prefer cost is important these days.
are there any sales on here ?

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
Just to add also, if you cant see peoples signatures you need to turn them on in the control panel by clicking on the "User CP" link in the top left corner. Then click on "Edit options" and click the appropriate box :)

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wicked i can see them now i cannot believe i am going to have to wait until a cheque clear to buy the car
i suppose at least i will not jump at the first one i see and can spend time looking.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
look in the for sale section on here.....colour is important too....(blue obv)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts