MG ZR Forums banner

rattling/tapping

2K views 75 replies 13 participants last post by  andylew0 
#1 ·
oki, maybey some of you remember I had problems with the tappets on my zed a few weeks ago. It all started after a service was done on my car. I then took it back and the guy flushed the oil and put new oil (fully synthetic for rover) it was running great for about 2 weeks, but now this noise is coming back!!!! its not constant though! what can it be?:w00t:

#3 ·
Its a common fault on cars bought from auctions lol. Honestly, they can be a bit tappety, does it quiten down when its warm?
thats the silliest thing ive ever heard! the car has been running fine untill it had been serviced a few weeks later!! the noise aint as bad as it was when the tappets had blocked. but obviously something aint righ somewhere

#7 ·
About the oil, when he serviced it, he admitted to using semi synthetic and maybey that’s what caused the tappets. He sorted the tappets and put fully synthetic specially for rovers! Ive just been on the phone with him now, told him that this noise is coming back, and I said shall I but castrol oil and he can flush the old and but the castrol in, his reply was ‘ohh not, it must not be the oil as this oil I used was specially for rovers’, hes gonna have a look at it Saturday for me anyway. But im feeling rather peed off tbh

#23 ·
right just got off the phone, they agreed there was a rattling (yay they arent 100% cowboys) they have put some Forte premium oil in it and are leaving it overnight to see what happens, other than that i dont know much.

My grandad (fixed cars back in his prime) seems to think its either a warn head or the shims (spelling?) and its them that are rattling. He looked at the manual and spotted them in the exploded diagram and said thats confirmed what he thought.

Might want to suggest that to the guy and see if he agrees or can check them out.

#25 ·
right just got off the phone, they agreed there was a rattling (yay they arent 100% cowboys) they have put some Forte premium oil in it and are leaving it overnight to see what happens, other than that i dont know much.

My grandad (fixed cars back in his prime) seems to think its either a warn head or the shims (spelling?) and its them that are rattling. He looked at the manual and spotted them in the exploded diagram and said thats confirmed what he thought.

Might want to suggest that to the guy and see if he agrees or can check them out.
I don't think forte do engine oil only additives to try and stop engine noise lol

There are no shims on the k series as they are hydraulic.

#24 ·
ive just changed my oil and filter and have the same noise. i only used good quality oil and original mg rover filter.
Wondering if its anything to do with new oil coursing less friction allowing the engine to work more freely and with it been new it wont be as thicker consistensy as the old black oil so maybe it will drain away from the tappets, just an idea

#31 ·
Just spoke to them again (well my dad did).

They got mixed up yesterday with what car we were asking about, apparently it was another rover 25 diesel that had the Forte stuff put in it not mine. :(

Mine had another oil change with "some quite expensive semi synthetic oil" and was taken on a road test for 50-60miles. Then cold started today. No change still broken. Now they are stripping the engine and are going to replace whatever is broken. Pretty happy they havent fobbed me off and are actually getting to the bottom of it. Will update as i hear from them.

#35 ·
hi dj ceri

this sounds so similiar to a recent prob im havin with my zr
mines 105 + 2005 reg

had it serviced at a local guy (who i was lead to believe he was a rover expert , but only thru my own findings i realised he was a complete numpty, i will never go back to him again after a few other probs ive had with him)

but anyway, relating back to the problem, he did my service and told me he had changed the oil
sayin he had put in some fantastic special synthetic stuff thats great on rovers blah blah

and since then i get this kind of rough sounding draining noise
thats best way to describe it
it dont do it constant
its just heard every now n then,

ive had it looked at by other mechanics who have either put it down to tyre noise on certain surfaces which i find hard to beleieve or could be a prob with my fuel injection

anyway i havnt the time or finances to get it looked over til end of month

but yeah keep me posted how u get on

steve

#46 ·
just got word on my car, they have now decided they are changing the tappets lol, after i suggested that this was probably the problem, took them a few days to find out for themselves, but nevermind at least im getting it done for free.

good to hear about your car getting fixed DJceri_g duno about adjusting a tappet though, they look fairly unadjustable, but i dont know anything lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.