MG ZR Forums banner

PTP LTD ENGINE HELP

383 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  cdti 
#1 ·
im perchasing a few things from ptp...piper cams, 52mm tb, vernier pulleys which they say will give me an extra 8-10 ps...without going for the 1.8 conversion and keeping the car a 1.4..does anyone know what else i can get done to the engine..ive herd a few people mention "getting the heads ported or matched" im not sure what this means or what it will do for my car...and advice would be great cheers ..anth:medieval:

#2 ·
Whilst keeping it a 1.4 there are a few things you can do to the head to squeeze better performance out. The head can be worked over by porting and removing material from certain areas to help it to flow better. The starting point will be making sure your inlet and outlet ports are matched to the manifolds (whilst you're focusing on this you'd do well to consider using a VVC metal inlet manifold and perhaps the Janspeed exhaust manifold which will both help the engine breath better). Particular attention should also be paid to the combustion chamber and the valve seat (there is a lot of information about this on Dave Andrews K-series webpage...see DVAPower).

After this there is of course the option of throttle bodies and a stand-alone ECU but this is mega bucks.

#5 ·
to be honest mate im not sure what i want to to..all i know is i have 2 grand and i want to use this to get the most out of my 1.4 engine with out buying another car...if you had a 105 and had 2 grand to spend...what would you spend it all on??

if you would like to list what you would do i would appreciate that as you probablys know alot more than me!!

anth

#10 ·
the reason i wont sell and buy a 160

well im gona be honest...the reason i dont wana sell up is i dont think i could sell my car...its a 2005 mrk 2 with 22,000 miles,hardlys any service history, and being as stupid as i was did a hpi check after i'd bought it, and it came back with just about everything..its even been frikin wrote off!!....the car isnt in good condition..when i bought it i met up in a busy asda carpark with the seller and got it home and realised it had dents, scratches, fagburns, interior falling apart..no-one would touch it without spending some money and sorting the problems out!! i got a price for the bodywork only and the bloke said 600 kwid...so if im gona pay that much on that....then im gona keep the car..make it mine..spend some time and money and hopefully one day soon it will be smart and a nippy little 1.4.

just watched this is england...class film!!
:clap2:

G
#11 ·
well im gona be honest...the reason i dont wana sell up is i dont think i could sell my car...its a 2005 mrk 2 with 22,000 miles,hardlys any service history, and being as stupid as i was did a hpi check after i'd bought it, and it came back with just about everything..its even been frikin wrote off!!....the car isnt in good condition..when i bought it i met up in a busy asda carpark with the seller and got it home and realised it had dents, scratches, fagburns, interior falling apart..no-one would touch it without spending some money and sorting the problems out!! i got a price for the bodywork only and the bloke said 600 kwid...so if im gona pay that much on that....then im gona keep the car..make it mine..spend some time and money and hopefully one day soon it will be smart and a nippy little 1.4.

just watched this is england...class film!!
:clap2:

Alice has the same problem, she is the 7th owner but its never been written off, you can tell its been in a bad crash and fixxed as it came up clear on a HPI check,the drivers door is red, the front 2 wings are blue and its been painted the wrong yellow,,you can only see it when its polished propperly.
she get her car (105 btw) 3 months ago, since she got it, the engine has been changed,diskbrakes,anti-roll bars,wheel bearings,breaks bleeding,new VVC inlet manifold, new pads all round new steering arm,new front bumper new rear bumper,new seats,new centre console new induction system, just got to finish off the bigggggggg assssss line down the passenger side then new bonnet....so your not the only 1 who cant sell there ZED( its got no service history either)... i think im goin to buy it just cos i know its worth it, then convert it to what ever i want. :spam:

#12 ·
iv kept my 105 as a 1.4 and made the following mods which have really made a very noticeable difference

cat back powerflow system
de cat
janspeed 4-2-1 manifold
52mm tb
vvc inlet manifold
bmc cda induction kit
piper 270 cams with vernier pulleys
emerald m3d ecu

iv also got throttle bodies due to go on but got to wait as i got laid off a couple of weeks ago.

my car is defo really lively and the cams are awesome it now revs to 7500rpm and that is where the peak power is.

#13 ·
if you got 2k to play with and your keeping the car id get all the bodywork and interior sorted before you spend on the engine.

also my first job would be to get it serviced as you dont know if its ever been done.

then with whatever is left over spend on the engine sort the breathing side of things first exhuast,induction etc

#14 ·
thing is i wouldnt wanna put £2k into a car which is in a bad state atm... i did that before, spent a lot on a write off car which i bought in a poor state and i lost a LOT of money on it.

if i was going to put £2k into a car it would have to be a mint one.

#15 ·
if i were you mate, sell up and cut your losses. it never going to feel write, and knowing that its got numerous faults, it may have a physcological effect.

i bought a TB 2001 120 that was a cat D. it was a nice car but the engine was buggered as were the brakes, and the passenger door was very windy, so i sold it, and mate a loss of 100ish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.