MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
440 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have some problems with the engine from my ZR 160.

the 1.8 VVC sounds like a diesel!!!! :( (its 100% not a diesel)

somebody know this problem or have it too???

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
is it like piston slap?

·
Registered
17 Posts
yup mine sounds like that too :(

a bit annoying on idle, but it sounds great after 2k rpm up to redline. :twisted:
You might find this thread a good read

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=17059&page=1&pp=20&highlight=piston+slap

sorry for crosslinking ;)

conclusion: if you're lucky it doesn't sound like one, if not it sounds like a diesel, some more some less. But at least it's nothing wrong with the engine itself

·
Registered
55 Posts
I had this and took it to 2 dealers... turned out the top of the engine was being starved of oil and making it sound like a rattly diesel!

The had to replace the oil injectors up the top and camshaft as the lack of oil had worn it away...

Sounds lovely now and no rattle what so ever!! Been like this for over 4 months and i do rag it! :twisted:

Note: The VVC mech on these cars does tap... sure your not hearing that? Shouldnt be that loud though...

·
Registered
302 Posts
yep i have this as well! sounds like a diesel at the front, sounds awesome from the back with exhaust!! MG told me it was because i was low on oil. i did'nt beleive them as i do a service on the car every month.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Same here chaps , mine is the same !

But suppose i do thrash it all the time !

oh well its having a service soon so will mention it and see what they say !!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
Do some basic checks like the oil level, and see how dirty it is. As it gets cold now if the oil is low or is a bit thick, (6,000 miles should be the maximum between oil changes in my eyes) then until it is warm it will struggle to get up to the top of the engine.

Your tappets are filled with oil normally, so if oil is not reaching them very easily or quicker they will rattle quite badly. Also if there is little oil getting to the top of the engine you will get wear as mentioned above. If everything looks OK, get it to a dealer ASAP.

Steve

·
Registered
55 Posts
Mine too now!! \:D/

Seriously... get it checked and dont take the usual crap of dealers saying "yes sir these are noisy engines"... went ballistic when they said that and then found the oil stravation!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts