MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when i go to start the car i turn the key and nothing happens all i get is some bleeping noise, Does anyone know why this happens??

·
CheeseKitten
16,588 Posts
it's the immobiliser...if u leave it too long after getting in the car after it will kick in. Either turn the key back or press the unlock button on ur remote to switch it off.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ohhhhh i seee, so i have to start the car before i piss out on the back seat RIghttttttttttttttt! :D

·
CheeseKitten
16,588 Posts
LMAO!!

Thats the fella!!
It's one of those really useful security measures like the keypad immobiliser that they put in 95/96 peugeots ](*,) ](*,)

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
It also means that if u dont lock ya car in a petrol station, that no-one can come along and start it up! :wink:

·
CheeseKitten
16,588 Posts
Ive just been informed that my statement above is incorrect...however no real reason has been given for the problem so I leave it up those who are more electrocnically minded to answer this problem.

However I will say that my car does the same thing, so do a number of other zed owners i know.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The immobiliser answer is right.

You will have a transponder in the fob which disables the immobiliser if you don't start the car within x seconds of unlocking.

On the odd occassion this does not get the signal properly and results in the car not starting, but beeping at you.

Either switch the ignition off and try again, or press the unlock button.

If you want to test it. Unlock the car with the fob, open the door and take the fob back indoors. Then go out with just the key and try to start it. It won't start, but will just beep at you.

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
It happens to me if I don’t let the fuel pump prep it’s self before starting the engine.

For thatcham cat 1 the ignition must be isolated by the immobiliser.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old now but just thought I would add my 2 cents worth!
My car doesn't always start - intermitent thing and very annoying. A mate of mine had a look, and in 5 seconds said it's the starter motor. He tapped it with a spanner and it started. The brushes are getting stuck apparently. It's happened about 5 times since, every time I've tapped it with a spanner and it's started fine! :D
Gonna book it in to have the motor replaced under warranty.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts