MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Got my R25 on saturday and first time i cold started it, it made a really nasty rattling sound that it doesnt do when its warmed up.

The rattling usually goes away after a few mins running.

Read a few threads and it seems to be common some suggestions are that its the tappets, but i dont really know my way round an engine so i havent a clue.

Got a sound bite you can have a listen to, if it will help.

http://www.andybuckstudio.co.uk/Rover 25/Poorly 25.mp3

(right click save as, or click it and it should play in your browser)

Thanks in advance for the help.

AndyBuck.

·
Formerly Trophynovabasher
3,051 Posts
check the oil, if the noise stops when the engine is warm it's because the low oil has worked its way up to the top of the engine.

·
Banned
14,064 Posts
my dads rover does this he said it was because when he serviced it he put the worng oil in and its not thick enough. when the engine is cold it make louds rattles (tappets) but when its warm it goes quiet.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got oil in it ?

Tappets and poss a worn cam.
Yup has oil in it just checked.

my dads rover does this he said it was because when he serviced it he put the worng oil in and its not thick enough. when the engine is cold it make louds rattles (tappets) but when its warm it goes quiet.
This sounds like it could be the fault, the guys at the garage i got it from said they changed the oil just before they gave it me, ill ring them and ask what was put in it.

Thanks for all the help guys, ill let you know how i get on. I got 3 months guarantee so hopefully itll get fixed.

Andy B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts