MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My mate fitted a pipercross air filter to my 105 on Monday and we left the bottom section of the original air box in place.

This does feed the air into the bottom of the new filter quite well but should i take it out???

help appreciated

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you take it out, there won't be much support. See if you could get a replacement one, and take a whack out of the front of the holder.
I found that in my previous car the filter would just "flap" at times, and zip ties dont really work too well with them. :hurt:

G

·
TBH for an open filter like the K&N then you are better off removing it and manufacturing a bracket. You can use one of the bolt holes from the removed lower section to mount the support bracket. Although there is a feed to the outside, it is masked by the bumper so you will not get a ram air feed which is what you need for a cold air supply to an open filter. What you will get from an open filter without the lower section of the airbox, is a better aerodynamic flow around the filter whn on the move. Due to the shape of the car, there is always some air flow under the car which pulls any hot air from the engine compartment. This will aid in decreasing any heatsoak once on the move but as with any open filter you will suffer heatsoak when stationary or moving slowly regardless of how many cold air feeds you supply it with.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok cheers guys, i will leave it in for a while see how it goes, then may take it off and test it out.

thanks for the replies

1 - 4 of 4 Posts