MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I joined up yesterday so hi to everyone! I've been reading through the discussions on Filters / Induction kits and through my own experiences with previous cars I've decided to get a decent panel filter. But which one? I only got my car just over a month ago so you guys know a little bit more about them! And once you've decided, where's the best place to buy it please? Thanks :up:

·
Registered
54 Posts
IF U GO WITH A PANNEL FILTER U WONT GET MUCH OF A POWER IN CREASE 1-2 BPH, WER AS AN INDUCTION KIT U'LL GET ANY WER FM 5-9 BHP.

IF U WANT A BIT OF A ROAR FM UR ENGINE GET AN OPEN CONE INDUCTION KIT. THE K & N 57i £85 BUT IT WILL SUFFER FM HEAT SOAK.

ON THE OTHER HAND THE PIPERCROSS VIPER IS AN INCLOSED CARBON FIBRE INDUCTION KIT WHICH WONT DRAW HOT AIR FM THE ENGINE AND SUFFER FM HEAT SOAK, IT COSTS £250 THO, BUTS ITS THE DOGS BOLLOCKZ.

ANY THIN ELSE JUSK ASK

GREG

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Greg. I've had a 57i and a Pipercross Vector (also open) on a 1.9 205 and the standard air box was easily the most efficient. I had a look at the vector and the ITG one but can't afford them at the mo so I figured a panel filter is better than nout.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
hi Chris...
I have a k&n panell filter in my airbox and i have noticed that the engine breaths more easy and makes gear change last a wee bit longer.....it cost me about 25 squid of ebay..
but i may be looking at the induction filters soon :cool1:

G

·
A panel filter is an easy improvement modification and can easily give as much power increase as any of the aftermarket induction kits. A good panel filter in a standard airbox will give more power than a poor induction kits and there are plenty of decent closed induction kits with poorley routed airfeeds that are actually causing a loss in performance.

I have done a rolling road test between a standard airfilter set up but fitted with a pipercross panel filter and then again with a nice big open filter. The panel filter gave a 2HP increase over the open filter. I didnt have a paper filter to see if there is any significant increase between that and the performance panel filter, but speaking to the experts (these are the guys that tune standard ZR 1.8 engines to give 180BHP at 7200rpm and who develop and make the exhausts for several rally and road teams and also the X-Power exhaust range) they say that anything that improves the breathing into the engine will help increase power and some of the biggest gains they have seen have been with standard induction systems but with performance filters instead.

When you think about it, by fitting a panel filter to the standard induction kit then you are doing the same as some of the more expensive systems like Maxtor, Itg, VIper etc. They have an enclosed chamber with a filter inside and a cold air supply from outside, you already have exactly the same set up but it just dosent look as pretty. I have got a carbon fibre set up on mine but TBH I have not noticed any real increase over the standard system with a panel filter change.

The only true test is on a rolling road and even then it needs to be done by the same operator, on the same day on the same car and on the same rolling road. Ignore the flyweel figures that rolling roads give as there is no way to get an ACCURATE approximation to the losses incurred by transmissions. The important figure is always going to be at the wheels anyway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do you know what, there have been so many questions regarding air filters, induction kits and the like and that basically answers the question out right. Well done than man.

I was going to (today) buy a Pipercross Viper kit as at the moment on my 105 I've put a K&N air filter in and although you can't see it and as above, the standard system isn't pretty I might aswell just stick with that.

Getting my x-power full system May 14th, got my 52mm throttle body on the way so me thinks the induction kit can wait.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts