MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
;) Just wondering if anyone has had problems with the paintwork on their ZRs? ;Have had my new model 105 for 2 month and my paintwork has started flaking off near my passenger side wheel arch? Took it back to the dealers who tried to blame me, askin how I washed it etc. Rubbish!

·
Typhooner :)
6,592 Posts
tell your dealer they are crap. first off, check your warranty, the standard is 3 yr or 60k miles, this includes a 3yr cosmetic paint warranty and 6yr anti corrosion warranty, if you get no joy, try citizens advice, they will give you a legal contact

·
1,431 Posts
Speak to Mulders when hes on.
he had a similar thing happen to him if i remember rightly.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RE: PAINTWORK

Cheers,
They have reluctantly agreed to take it in and respray it. Just a little worried that it will start happenin all over the car!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Washing off mud from nearside front this weekend I see white plastic at the leading edge of the side skirt instead of Trophy Blue that it was. Am I right the stones etc wear off the paint at bottom of wheelarch exposing white plastic underneath? Either that or I've driven over white spilt paint in the road and it's stuck. Doesn't T cut off though so must be natural side skirt colour showing through.

·
Registered
ZR 105 (IAB) ZR+120 (HQM)
1,369 Posts
My skirts are black plastic under the paint. The primer that is used in the factory however, is grey.

Do any of you who have had problems use a jet wash? If you do this is most probably the culprit. If there are any weak areas of paint, a jet wash will remove it with ease. I know of a number of people who have damaged their paint in this way - some of them with very expensive makes of car. (It is not just MGR).

I personally would not use a jet wash on the paintwork at all (perhaps for the underside occasionally)

You can't beat a hand job :mrgreen:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Man in the Car said:
My skirts are black plastic under the paint. The primer that is used in the factory however, is grey.

Do any of you who have had problems use a jet wash? If you do this is most probably the culprit. If there are any weak areas of paint, a jet wash will remove it with ease. I know of a number of people who have damaged their paint in this way - some of them with very expensive makes of car. (It is not just MGR).

I personally would not use a jet wash on the paintwork at all (perhaps for the underside occasionally)

You can't beat a hand job :mrgreen:
Thanks for that info on black and grey. I'll see If I can get this white off now as it's clearly something stuck on not worn off!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, it is just the top laquer peeling off leaving the matt black underneath. Seems like a botched job to me although the dealer won't admit it. Has also started to go near my front number plate where a stone has hit. I told the dealer he was talkin crap cos if that was a standard paint job you would have every ZR being brought back! I hate the attitude
of dealers - wub b much easier if they admit they are in the wrong!

·
Registered
120 Posts
You have to be particularly careful with lacquer, if the jet wash gets underneath where it is starting to peel then it'll lift up the surrounding area too.

Is it just me, or do you think that Rover's paintwork isn't as good as other makes? It certainly seems to pick up road chips easier??

·
Banned
107 Posts
Stick to your guns & escalate the problem if necessary, you could also take the car to another dealer for their opinion!

As for the jet wash, I use one but would never admit it to the dealer if the paint started coming off.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cheers,
The only type of cleaning I have done is with a bucket and sponge.
Hopefully it will go in for a respray and that will be the end of it, but will be keeping an eye on every part of it now!

·
989 Posts
it hapened to mine on the rear arch because when i lowered the car i never bent in the lips on the inside of the arch ( hard to describe ) and when i was hittin bend and bumps at high speed the tire was rubbing and sometimes chippin bits of paint off...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts