MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening all,

Right...

Driving my car to Milton Keynes today, I noticed the orange engine management light is on, on the dash.

I recently (about 6/7 weeks ago) put a Janspeed manifold & sports cat on.
Since then i've probably covered a good 1000+ miles.
Could it be that the engine management system has only just noticed the change?
Everything else seems to be fine.
There is no loss of power, no change in the running of the car.
All the levels under the bonnet (coolant, oil, etc.) are nice & high.

I know the solution is to get the override from PTP.
I know that the light turns itself off after 150+ miles once it's installed.
I know that it shouldn't affect the outcome of an MOT.
But it's ****ing annoying... little orange light!

Help is appreciated guys!

Oh yeah... there also seems to be a loud whirring noise from under the bonnet when sitting at idle.
Could be during movement too, but I wouldn't know as i'm inside the car.
My sister's boyfriend reckons this sounds like the fan working overtime.
Any ideas on that?

Going away on holiday tomorrow morning so would be nice to put my mind at rest!

Thanks guys!

·
2.0 GT T-bar :D
3,305 Posts
I've gotta say mate, i love your car. Looks Just right! cant help but look at the pic when i see it haha!

As for the light, i don't know the solution but this isn't the only car with the problem, a lot of vauxhalls get this.

·
Registered
956 Posts
If it come's on when your say doing (60-70 mph )then its your air sensor ,my mrs had the same thing on her car .at low speeds say (30-50)it was alright go any faster and it would come on. hope this helps

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've gotta say mate, i love your car. Looks Just right! cant help but look at the pic when i see it haha!
Thanks mate!

It's on from the moment I start the engine (0mph)+.
I'm almost certain from reading other posts (searching!) that it's due to the exhaust system.
I just want some confirmation.

·
Registered
18,670 Posts
no problem, all i could give u is what errors coming up and reset the fekker :D
holla at me whenever chap :D

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yeah I have a diag kit and it's worth the money!! I'd recommend just getting the error codes off and resetting the lights, driving a bit and seeing what comes back up.

Saves £40 at the garage!

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
It is probably the fact you have now got the Janspeed sports cat ssystem. This changes the emissions so that they are only just within the legal limit and on some cars this is low (or should I say high) enough that it causes the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) to illuminate. Janspeed themselves recognise this problem and sell an MIL eliminator. A few other people sell them as well such as PTP and I think there was a member on here selling them as well. You may need to fit one of them to put the light out

http://www.ptp-ltd.co.uk/shop/258_50/mg_rover/mg_zr__rover_25/exhaust_systems/mil_eliminator.htm

·
Registered
304 Posts
As above, had the very same problem, you need a MIL eliminator, i had mine wired in wrong, the light came on after a few trips, re-wired it, and the light went straight away.

·
Need a new car!
2,054 Posts
Mate, when i had my ZR that stupid orange light came on, i know what you mean about it being annoying!

My dad put it through the diagnostics machine and just reset/cleared it but i came back again, turned out it was the o2 censor, so could well be that.

·
Boost ftw!!
1,493 Posts
Oh yeah... there also seems to be a loud whirring noise from under the bonnet when sitting at idle.
Could be during movement too, but I wouldn't know as i'm inside the car.
My sister's boyfriend reckons this sounds like the fan working overtime.
Any ideas on that?
Alright mate? I have the same noise coming from mine. Sorts sounds like its coming from through the dash vents. Goes away when i press the clutch in.
Did you find out what it was yet?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts