MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as some of you may well know, I went to the Janspeed RR day yesterday....what a blast and a FANTASTIC day out!

What was a highlight for me amongst many was the chance to prove/disprove some of the rumour/theory/conjecture and guesswork regarding the Pros/Cons of open and closed induction kits.

I initally had a run on the RR with my Apiro open induction kit and got a very respectable [email protected]

Just after this, I then replaced the Apiro for the standard airbox system but fitted with a Pipercross performance panel filter. This gained me an extra [email protected] rpm BUT at 4500 the open filter was better then the closed by 7BHP :eek:

If you look at the power delivery though, it is smoother with the open filter albeit 2 BHP less at max. I have to admit that the split between the 2 was far less than I expected and it would have been nice to have been able to do a few more with somethinglike a standard paper filter as well as a few other open filters like K&N.
Testing a closed system like the Viper would not have been a true test as there is no aerodynamic effect with the car stationary, but this does not enter into the equasion as much in this situation as neither the open systems not the standard air intakes benefit from ram air induction. Make your own assumptions/choices based on these figures.

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
glad you got the chance to try this nick,interesting figures .in your opinion which is best and im asking for your opinion as you drive your vehicle with both filters at one time or another.sorry to have missed it but weather was bad all the way home

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the Apireo purely for the looks and the sound. Costs me more in fuel though as I tend to drive it with a heavier lead foot for the noise alone (at least I'm honest :twisted: )

Withe the standard system on with the Perfromance filter, I do get a noticeable better response to throttle movement when acceralting from a standstill. Thinsg like this cant be shown on a rolling road and need the benefit of some timed 0-60's.

Each have thier advantages/disadvantages and the fact it only takes about 120 minutes to go from one to the other means I can change them as I feel the wont!

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
excellent opportunity yesterday to give some true figures from a very respected company , who made us all very welcome. sad for all the members who missed it.

on a brighter note sun is shining here in yorkshire ,hope it stays like this for whitby ,more photos later.

nick as always nice to see you again and always grateful for any advice given. =D> =D>

·
X-ZR Owner
1,120 Posts
This is the main reason that i wanted to go so i could compare my apiro aera with the piper x filter in the oe airbox. Do you have a readout of your dyno test nick? It should be near enough the same as mine.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Baz, have a look at the pictures on the first entry of this thread. I have posted the 2 dyno readings that I scanned in. The first one is with the Apireo, the second (with the 2 in top RH corner) is the one with the OE airbox and pipercross panel. If for some reason you cant see them, I can email them to you.

·
X-ZR Owner
1,120 Posts
#-o Thats the last time i drink a bottle of wine, 6 beers and many shots of absinth and start posting the next day.

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:lol: :lol: Should have said you were that bad! I could have sent you the braille version :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
890 Posts
Droog - on the second one, its clearly obvious your bhp is suffering at around where the peak torque should be, did you notice this on the road? and do you have the torque graphs as bhp is pretty much useless on the open road ;) torque makes your car excellerate :mrsmiley:

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As stated before, this is a 20 YO dyno which is very basic. Didnt give torque readings only what you see on the readout. The other thing that is a little decieving is the RPM/BHP as this has been taken manually and then entered into the computer. They were using the RPM gauge on my ZR which I know under-reads since I replaced the needles (have you ever tried getting them back in exactly the same place?). Instead of the rev limiter coming in at 6500, it comes in at 6000 (indicated, it is still actually limiting at 6500). Regardless of power/torque (have a look at the torque graph of an F1 engine if you believe torque=accel, torque is the result of power over a given time( or somethinglike that, but I'm not going to get into a debate over that as it isnt relevant in this instance).

Both filters give slight but noticeable characterstics to the car. TBH I am not that bothered having been down the "power hungry" route years ago with a chipped Arsetra GTE 2.0 16V that was around the 200 bhp mark and was stupidly quick and even more stupidly expensive to insure amongst other cars. Must be old age creeping in :twisted:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts