MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Boost ftw!!
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a look at the plugs to see what kind of condition they're in. Found the far right (4) was half covered in oil (2) was ok but a bit black. When i tried to look at (1) the lead popped off and left the tube inside. So i just left it for now. Knackered piston rings? HGF? I'm totally hating it right now like!!

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
ooohhhhh is that dreaded hgf ???

·
Boost ftw!!
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
could be headgasket.
Thats what i thought was wrong to begin with before i even checked the plugs coz of the gunk under the cap and the loss of power. Now thinking it could be a number of things.

·
Banned
8,794 Posts
Get the gasket replaced (because obviously it needs doing if you have gunk under the cap) and then see where you are buddy. My car had oil in piston 1, that was the headgasket.

·
Brothers Grim
2,003 Posts
often what happens with 4 is that it is located underneath the oil cap, so when oil is poured in there, any overspill will go down the number 4 spark plug hole. then when you remove the plug, the oil located at the bottom that you couldn't see is drained out into the cylinder and covering the plug at the same time. I've seen it happen on a few k series engines myself, if the engine is running ok I wouldn't worry too much about it.

·
Boost ftw!!
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There was only the smallest bit of gunk on tuesday nothing since. But, ye it looks like i'm gonna have to get it done. Can't really afford it right now like. Holidays n stuff. Nightmare!!

·
Banned
8,794 Posts
just run the car for a few more days, clean things and see if problems come back. ideally get a new set of £10 plugs and then inspect them in a few days to see if the problem has gone.

·
Boost ftw!!
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
often what happens with 4 is that it is located underneath the oil cap, so when oil is poured in there, any overspill will go down the number 4 spark plug hole. then when you remove the plug, the oil located at the bottom that you couldn't see is drained out into the cylinder and covering the plug at the same time. I've seen it happen on a few k series engines myself, if the engine is running ok I wouldn't worry too much about it.
See this is the kinda thing i want to hear!:D But some peaople say oh HGF, some say piston rings and seals are goosed. I just don't know. Don't want to go putting it in for a hg only to find that's not the problem.

·
Brothers Grim
2,003 Posts
If there's only a little gunk then that could be down to short journeys, my 160 often gets a tiny bit of gunk build up when i do short journeys.

·
Brothers Grim
2,003 Posts
See this is the kinda thing i want to hear!:D But some peaople say oh HGF, some say piston rings and seals are goosed. I just don't know. Don't want to go putting it in for a hg only to find that's not the problem.
Watch to see if your exhaust smoke has a blue tint to it, if it has then your burning oil and it maybe the 2 things you've just said, myself i think its way too early to say either of the 2 just yet.

·
Boost ftw!!
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ye someone else said that the other night. Can't remember who. I'm gonna go back out after t, give it a good clean put some new plugs in and just keep an eye on it for the next day or 2.

·
Registered
506 Posts
i changed my plugs four weeks ago had same thing oil in number 4 but as it was on top of plug i soaked oil up first dont ask what with cough cough (tampon) best oil soakin device in tight areas. removed plug replaced with new plug checked it yesterday no oil i would put it down to overspill mate.

·
Dirty user
31,429 Posts
Could just be odds but most of the k series hfg i have done have been mostly N.O 4.

i changed my plugs four weeks ago had same thing oil in number 4 but as it was on top of plug i soaked oil up first dont ask what with cough cough (tampon) best oil soakin device in tight areas. removed plug replaced with new plug checked it yesterday no oil i would put it down to overspill mate.
Is there oil on the actual spark part of the plug ?

As said above it could be the rocker cover gasket that is fokked letting oil drip onto the top of the plug.

·
Registered
506 Posts
i had oil on thread but non on actual plug electrode area but the oil on thread looked clean i had topped up oil 2 weeks before thats why put mine down to overspill.

·
Boost ftw!!
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As far as i could see there wasn't any on the tip just the threads. Just replaced them with some bosch super 4's. Took it out for a 30 mile run felt a lot better. Also put some redex in it. Feels a bit more responsive but still sounds rough. Think that might be just tappets though.

·
Fake Bans FTW!!!
1,482 Posts
+1 happened to me or the rocker cover gasket may leak and oil could drip down to your plug

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
So glad i dont need to worry about this anymore :D

Im sure its not meant to get any gunk atall on oil cap

1 - 18 of 18 Posts