MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2.0 TD guys and gals...

This evening on the way home from work, the first couple of miles were like pulling teeth, extremely low acceleration, turbo was non-existent and first may as well have been a neutral. Weird thing was that once I'd gone about 10 miles (15 mins), things began to return to normal and by the time I was nearly home (20 miles/35 mins) I was wondering what I was worried about.

Had a butchers in the engine compartment but can't see anything obvious in the way of splits or fluid spewing out. Levels look normal, too, with the exception of coolant which could do with a smidge of topping-up.

Has anybody come across anything like this or might there be something I should look at urgently?

:unsure:

·
Registered
388 Posts
sounds abit weird, was full power restored by the end of the trip??

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sounds abit weird, was full power restored by the end of the trip??
Not quite. Maybe I'm getting used to the turbo (bought just 2 weeks ago), but it didn't feel like it was delivering as much power as it was this time last week, for example.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Seems rather strange. Maybe temperature related? Clogged fuel filter that worked its way loose? Electronics?

I would be interested if it happens again.

·
Registered
37 Posts
This happened to me on sunday had been driving for about 20mins when car lost power and went into go slow mode, foot to floor and revs not getting past 2000 and the car was crawling.
So i turned for home, then after around five mins it started to come back to life.
all looked fine under the bonnet aswell.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
anything else happen like dash warning lights or anything come on? if so check the battery conections my car done this after i crashed and it was cause of the battery lead becoming slack

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
maybe its haunted?
LOL!

Seems rather strange. Maybe temperature related? Clogged fuel filter that worked its way loose? Electronics?

I would be interested if it happens again.
We'll see soon, on way to work....will keep an eye on the temp gauge.

anything else happen like dash warning lights or anything come on? if so check the battery conections my car done this after i crashed and it was cause of the battery lead becoming slack
No warning lights etc., no.

Fingers crossed....

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
cant say av ever heard of this. mate am stuck lol

just keep an eye on it buddy let us no any other info. if i was closer ad pop down and have a look

could it be the maf sensor playing up guys cause i no i had a serious loss of power and turbo but it never came bk lol

·
Registered
730 Posts

just keep an eye on it buddy let us no any other info. if i was closer ad pop down and have a look

could it be the maf sensor playing up guys cause i no i had a serious loss of power and turbo but it never came bk lol
Yeah, it sounds like a MAF sensor, but I dont see any reason why it would start working again. If it is a faulty wire, you should see an increased performance if it was faulty to begin with.

Hmm, check the wire coming off the first fuel injector. It tells the ECU how much fuel in being injected.

The other thing is that it might have gone in limp home mode.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

What's a maf sensor, and where would I find it?

Yeah, it sounds like a MAF sensor, but I dont see any reason why it would start working again. If it is a faulty wire, you should see an increased performance if it was faulty to begin with.

Hmm, check the wire coming off the first fuel injector. It tells the ECU how much fuel in being injected.

The other thing is that it might have gone in limp home mode.
Where would I find the first fuel injector? And what is limp home mode?

Cheers guys, this is beginning to bake my noodle now though.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Here's how the drive in went...

Not so many problems early doors, got it to the M2 and it was still feeling quite nippy, none of the sluggishness from yesterday evening.

On the M2 though, noticed the top-end was largely non-existent now, had real trouble pushing past about 65 mph (ish) - not that one would actually want to break the law or owt on a public road. Ahem.

Apart from that everything seemed normal.

Definitely going to check this maf thingy and the first injector wire.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
As above.

Either a dead MAF (sensor/wires just after the airbox) or the 1st injector acting up.

I take it there waas no smoke when you lost power? The other thing that would cause a limp home is lack of oxygen caused by a turbo pipe collapsing. This wouldn't however right it's self and you'd be followed by a cloud of smoke all the way home.

For a more worrying scenario your fuel pump belt might have slipped I had this once on the ZS.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As above.

Either a dead MAF (sensor/wires just after the airbox) or the 1st injector acting up.

I take it there waas no smoke when you lost power? The other thing that would cause a limp home is lack of oxygen caused by a turbo pipe collapsing. This wouldn't however right it's self and you'd be followed by a cloud of smoke all the way home.

For a more worrying scenario your fuel pump belt might have slipped I had this once on the ZS.
No smoke of any kind.

Ok, going to sound like a total dinlo, but which pipes are for the turbo? And where is the airbox? [Know bugger all about engines of any sort and aiming to catch up] Where would I look for the fuel pump belt?

:stupid:

Thanks though.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is it a new turbo?
Don't think so. [Dunno which bit is the turbo] Everything in the compartment looks like it's been there the same length of time, if that makes any sense...

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Don't think so. [Dunno which bit is the turbo] Everything in the compartment looks like it's been there the same length of time, if that makes any sense...
How many miles has the car done?

·
I'm comin hoommmeee again
1,175 Posts
I had this problem after I went through a suspicious looking puddle that ended up being a mini pong lol.

My MAF wire had broken, the turbo wasn't spooling even when I planted my foot to the floor it didn't rev much. It was erratic though and was ok for a small time before it got worse and worse.

I thought it was a problem with the turbo. I can't remember the cost tbh, 65 quid maybe ?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Engine in the middle.

Turbo pipes are the thick pipes (2") coming from the front going to the little radiator looking thing on the right hand side (that's the intercooler).

The air box is the big black plastic thing with the air filter on the right of the engine, next to the battery. A black plastic pipe about 2" dia comes off the back of it and runs to the rear of the engine. There is a sensor on this pipe which is your Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor.

The fuel pump belt is pretty unlikely and requires the engine bay apart so I'd check the other things first. It's also on the right hand side of the car between the engine and the air box.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts