MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
no, i had the holes for them in the polystyrene thing that is on the spare wheel, but no wheels nuts.

was there meant to be extra wheel nuts there?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well to cut a longish story short the dealer said there should be some in the black plastic tube that goes with the wheel nut unlocker. However, considering that the mechanic failed to recognise the wheel nut unlocker even though they looked right at it (worrying!!!) I am wondering if they know what they are on about.

*** Long story ***
Front tyres getting worn (3mm tread on inside). Dealer suggests a new set of Kumhos for £89 each inc fitting. I'm skint right now so I suggest swapping fronts and rears (5/6mm tread left) because I know that diesels always wear the fronts faster and I can live with 3mm of tread on the rear. Dealer says no problem. They ring back because they can't find the wheel nut unlocker. Check the glove box I say. They check, they can't find it. I scratch my head but assume I must have left it in the house by mistake.

Pick up car from dealer, driving home and get stuck in traffic. Get bored, read service invoice, Spray dealer provided car air freshener around. Open glove box. Pick up what I though was the wheel nut unlocker which sitting right on top of the CDs. It's a hollow black plastic tube with a metal bolt pushed in the end of it. There's a plastic cable tie inserted through a small hole in the plastic. Ring dealer back and tell them what I found - is this the unlocker? They say that they looked at it but it's just the tube for holding the spare wheels nuts that I should have got when I bought the car (from another dealer). The wheel nut unlocker is a nut with circular grooves on the inside. "Oh", I say. I hope I don't get a puncture then because was never given anything else and I'd be stuffed. They suggest ringing my original dealer to get the spare nuts and unlocker. Ok I say.

I go home and have a look around for a wheel nut unlocker but find nothing. I go back to the black tube and pull out the cable tie and the bolt falls out. On the end of the bolt is a nut and inside it has circular grooves so I assume I guess that's the unlocker. Ok, so the bolt was pushed in one end of the plastic tube but they obviously didn't look too closely. I saw the bolt as soon as I picked the tube up, I just didn't realise what it was. I'd have thought a mechanic would have known. I am not impressed, especially since it's now going to cost me money to go to an independent place at lunchtime to get the tyres swapped (dealer is too far to go and I'm doing a long trip tomorrow so I need it done now).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts