MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
ZR 105 (IAB) ZR+120 (HQM)
1,379 Posts
It certainly is a shame. This used to be a very busy forum around 15+ years ago, full of very active, informative and friendly members, and with regular meet-ups either at shows, or smaller local get-togethers.

It all went downhill badly when site ownership fell into the hands of a longstanding member who was a rather heavy handed moderator with the result that a small band of disillusioned members went off and set up a ZR forum of their own. There was another long standing and very active member who went off to start a more general car related forum when his wife swapped her Mynheer kitted ZR (which was the main reason for both of them being on theMGZR) for a Mitsubishi Evo and their car interests gravitated away from MG Rover. A number of the regulars who had also swapped their ZRs for something else followed them, and the forum activity steadily decreased from then on.

However, it must say something about theMGZR that it is still here, and its valuable reference resource still remains available to existing and new ZR enthusiasts, whilst both the 'ZRunleashed' and 'TheFuelRooms' forums have long since withered and vanished.

Whether this forum will continue is anyones guess, but I would imagine whilst it still gets enough traffic to generate sufficient views to keep VerticalScopes' advertisers happy to keep paying enough to outweigh the cost of running and hosting it, I would think it may stay a while even with the low volume of actual posts that are generated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am a very new member of the forum and have had a few zr’s myself I would like to help step up the forum with a couple of meets for the Mg enthusiasts and help people like myself who are new to meeting people with the same interests in cars what can we do to get this site going again ??????

·
Registered
148 Posts
It is sad to see the demise in popularity of this forum. I remember it being very busy back when I got my ZR back in 2004.

Sadly times change and forums in general have taken a huge hit due to the unfortunate popularity of Facebook etc. Hopefully we will see a return to the web of old where niche sites can once again flourish!

My Zed left us at the back end of 2017 when its rear axle took a beating whilst parked and crashed into. Subsequently written off :(

View attachment 14869

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I think a combination of social media and the gradual decline in the numbers of these cars left on the road are the main factors in the decline of this forum.

The forum is indeed on life support now compared to how it used to be.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Are there any Mg meets atall coming up ? Be nice to promote this forum again at a show or something ?
I think the days of forums in general are kind of numbered TBH. Plenty of people are on MG Facebook groups and post constantly. People are lazy so the convince of posting pics straight from their phone on the FB app are where people are going to stay I’m afraid.

I do think proper forums are better, especially for archiving info - but they’ve had their day, especially for a car brand that died 17 years ago.

As for shows Pride Of Longbridge is coming up.

·
Registered
ZR 105 (IAB) ZR+120 (HQM)
1,379 Posts
People are lazy....
Lazy and stupid.

Even when you get past the fact that a huge amount of what gets posted is total rubbish (a lot of the advice on maintenance etc seems to be either inaccurate, misleading, outright wrong or dangerous or is someone working a scam), most people wouldn't go near facebook and its ilk if they fully understood the quantity of detailed personal information they are harvesting and storing about them, and the future implications of this data getting into the wrong hands (which of course, it will one day).

I only view a few open groups (for reference/information mainly) but not registered/signed in, and only from a fairly well secured computer.

I have to say that the activity on all forms of communication is falling off a cliff however - mainly I think because with most of the MG Rover cars being approaching or over 20 years old, most of them have been scrapped, and the number of people enthusiastic enough to chat about them on the 'net are becoming very few indeed (even when this forum was at its most active, there were probably fewer than 100 regular posters for a car of which there were over 80 thousand built, and something like three quarters of those were sold in the UK and Ireland!)

It is noticeable pretty much everywhere that nowadays owners only take to posting about their car when they have a problem they need help with, and once they have an answer to their question, they are never heard from again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts