MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI I FIND THE NOISE FROM MY ENGINE (105) QUITE LOUD, ESPECIALLY FROM COLD (SOUNDS LIKE A DIESEL FROM COLD!), IS IT ME OR AR ALL ZR'S 25'S SOUND DEADENING THAT BAD?

ALSO COULD ANYONE HELP ME GETTING MY PICS ON THE GALLERY? EVERYTIME I COMPRESS THEM ITS NEVER ENUFF! WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Could be piston slap, but if it was it would be very noticible, so im told, there was an audio clip of one with pioston slap, best bet is if it is under warranty still , to take it to the dealers as the 105 is quite quiet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
They are quite noisy until they get warmed up. Certainly mine makes a bit of a racket, it's also important you don't over-rev your engine until its warmed up too.

If it does sound excessively noisy though (like a diesel!) then it could be down to piston-slap - where your piston rings have prematurely worn down making then piston clang about in the cylinder like a bell.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NO I DONT THINK ITS AS SEVERE AS THAT, I HAD AN MG MECHANIC IN MY CAR NOT LONG AGO AND HE WAS TRYING TO TELL ME IT SOUNDED NORMAL (I WASNT CONVINCED)

G

·
Th K series engine is know for being noisy at cold and is prone to piston slap due to its design. That said, if the noise disappears when the engine is warm then it is little to worry about.

You will always get a ticking at idle which is the injectors firing, and sometimes from cold you will get a dry tappet which will be noisy for a second or 2 until the oil pressure builds, especially prone on cold days.

If you still get a loud knocking when the engine is warm on revving it then I would certainly get it to a dealer to look at

·
989 Posts
mine is quite noisy when cold like ... like a loud tapping noise but as soon as the temp gauge starts to move it stops ....

but I also need oil in me engine so im not complaining.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You guys obviously haven't heard the TD engine!! if you think your 105 is loug go test drive a TD then you'll see how quiet yours is!

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
105's have also had problems with noisey tappets before now... also a warranty job, but easy enough.

I once put my 105 against someone else with the noisey tappets problem and that definatley sounded like a diesel compared.

TD engine is noisey at idle... but barely noticable when throwing one around a track. Its quieter than the petrols.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Mine is very quite, from cold or warm never a tap from it ,18000 miles on the clock and its moded as below , when the head was off we looked at the bores and all was like new , it only makes a noices when i wont it to LOL

1 - 10 of 10 Posts