MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently my gearbox has developed a loud whirring noise :sleep:. Is this the 'thrust bearing'? I thought that the noise was because my gear oil had run really low but thats no so. Has anyone had a similar problem? Costs? Repair replace?

Thanks in advance for reading, Sy

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
it could indeed be the thrust bearing/clutch release bearing. price to replace it is probably going to be something like 40 quid, if you can find one that doesnt come as part of a clutch kit. the killer will be labour unless you can do it yourself. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info mate. Any recommendations on where to get parts? Rimmer Bro? I can sense this is going to be a pain in the arse.

·
Registered
892 Posts
This happned to my car just after i got it and arnold clarke claimed it was fine so i jus kept going as normal knowing full well it was gubbed till one day it blew up and then they had to replace the full gearbox and clutch under warenty. teach them for being knobs! but if i were you id get ti checked out as you dont want to have to get the full lot replaced

·
mg zr rally car
2,076 Posts
if its the r65 i know that the mainshaft bearings are noisy on them. we stopped this in the rallys cars by steel caged bearings

·
Registered
962 Posts
is it mk1 or mk2? didnt the mk2 have ford gearbox's? i think the way to test it is if it whines with the clutch out its the diff bearings, if it whines with the clutch in its release bearing.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Sorry to say this mate but this happend on my 105, R65 box. In gear it was whining and grinding noise when i dipped the clutch it went. Its the differential bearing in the box mate im afraid you need a new gearbox....

·
Registered
962 Posts
anyone killed a mk2 box yet? can anyone confirm that they are ford box's? if so what ford are the fitted to? or is it just ford internals? I gotta admit i prefer the ratio's of the R65 compared to the mk2.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts