MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have bought a steering wheel for my ZR but I need to get a hub kit for it to fit. I was advised that Halfords do them so I went in today to get one. The guy over the counter said that a car fitted with a steering wheel with airbag as standard cannot be removed for a steering wheel with no airbag. Thus resulting in an MOT failure.

I've tried google but nothing coming up confirming what he said.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Nope, halfords fail yet again, sigh, they make me look bad.

the legal requirement is that the SRS light on the dash does not stay on iirc. so as long as you jump the air bag wiring with a fused piece of wire, so the circuit is complete and the light goes off, MOT pass.

legally a car does not have to have an airbag, same as they dont need a spare wheel etc

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
easier to get one from ur local halfords to be honest. basically, mountney wont make a boss kit for an airbag car, but momo will, because they are not retarded. so if your wheel will definitely fit a momo hub, i'll get you the part number, then u just need to go into ur local halfords and order one ;)

·
Registered
8,474 Posts
Can't fail for having srs light on :)
fair enough, i stand corrected, always thought it was a fail. either way, it doesnt detract from the point that you dont legally need an airbag.

to be honest, if u have an accident fast enough to hit the airbag with fully functional seatbelts your going to be in a bad way anyway, lol

·
Premium Member
31,424 Posts
fair enough, i stand corrected, always thought it was a fail. either way, it doesnt detract from the point that you dont legally need an airbag.

to be honest, if u have an accident fast enough to hit the airbag with fully functional seatbelts your going to be in a bad way anyway, lol
Just saying thats all kyle lol can fail if abs light is on thou ;)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
easier to get one from ur local halfords to be honest. basically, mountney wont make a boss kit for an airbag car, but momo will, because they are not retarded. so if your wheel will definitely fit a momo hub, i'll get you the part number, then u just need to go into ur local halfords and order one ;)
Its got 6 screws. If you could get me the part number then that would be brill. I'll just go in and ask for that part. How much are they?

·
Registered
622 Posts
i always thought that the srs light was a fail, asked the guy at the mot station when had harnesses and he said that because i had disconnected the seatbelt pretentioners and used the mounting points for a harness then if it had normal seatbeelts i would fail but because i had harnesses in he said it could pass, so my srs light is on but it passed its mot, strange eh?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
its def not fail to do with the pre tensioners etc! i almost took bloke i bought car off to court over it!

pre tensioners is classed as a recomendation by the mot man! he can tell you it needs changing but is unable to fail it!

it part of the seatbelt and as long as the seat belt plugs in and once realeases, coils back up then it passes

and if you were worried about light, jsut take the bulb out? lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.