MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
Seen this new kit from PTP just a few days ago. Looks pretty cheap to me for what you get. Anyone bought it yet? / opinions?

http://www.ptp-ltd.co.uk/shop/342_S..._1.4_k_series_performance_upgrade_package.htm
Almost £600 for 8-10bhp!!!!
Are they having a f-ing laugh???

You can mod a diesel for £100 or so, and get an extra 30bhp!!!

This is one of the reasons that modding a diesel, makes so much sense.
Bang for buck, diesel modding is much better value for money.

Cheers
Dave

·
Dirty user
31,429 Posts
Almost £600 for 8-10bhp!!!!
Are they having a f-ing laugh???

This is one of the reasons that modding a diesel, makes so much sense.
Bang for buck, diesel modding is much better value for money.

Cheers
Dave
yep as there a slow to start with :D

·
Registered
12,564 Posts

That's modifying a TURBO diesel, remove the turbo and drop the cc down to 1400 and see how easy it is to get that power, it will be back to a 1960's HGV performance wise.

Of course if you want to compare a turbo petrol with a turbo diesel, most will do 300/300 or even 400/400 on more modern engines.

How much does a diesel engine cost new compared to the 1.4 k series as well?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
if you look at what your getting thats a very reasonaly price. Go price up Piper 270 cams piper pullies a cambelt kit and a rocker cover gasket and you'll see what little labour cost is involved.

In fact here's a little edit :)

From Piper
Cams = £388
Pullies = £180

From ebay
cambelt kit = £40.50 + £5.50 postage

Their isn't any rocker cover gaskets or cam shaft oil seals but from my local motor factors your talking between £5-8 for the rocker gasket and about £1.50 per oil seal X 4

so if you were to source the parts yourself your talking £627 pounds (pricing the rocker gasket at £7) then you've gotta do the work yourself! It also says you'll get big improvement with a filter a throttle body and an exhaust (of which a lot of people have fitted of some description whose even contenplating this type of performance upgrade)

·
RIP ZR
15,287 Posts
just save the money for a better car...and i would take my golf derv over any zr...and thats pre remap!

·
Alergic to the apex
5,308 Posts
if you look at what your getting thats a very reasonaly price. Go price up Piper 270 cams piper pullies a cambelt kit and a rocker cover gasket and you'll see what little labour cost is involved.

In fact here's a little edit :)

From Piper
Cams = £388
Pullies = £180

From ebay
cambelt kit = £40.50 + £5.50 postage

Their isn't any rocker cover gaskets or cam shaft oil seals but from my local motor factors your talking between £5-8 for the rocker gasket and about £1.50 per oil seal X 4

so if you were to source the parts yourself your talking £627 pounds (pricing the rocker gasket at £7) then you've gotta do the work yourself! It also says you'll get big improvement with a filter a throttle body and an exhaust (of which a lot of people have fitted of some description whose even contenplating this type of performance upgrade)
I don't think that price includes fitting, or am I missing something? :S

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't think that price includes fitting, or am I missing something? :S
Yeah i dont think it includes fitting?

·
Registered
117 Posts
:rofl:

I must admit £600ish seems a tad expensive for 8/10 ponies.

For that performance the price should be roughly in the £350/400 bracket.
Dam rite i cud buy 8 ponies for that!

·
Is Constantly Horny
5,063 Posts
`its not that much really the gull janspeed system adds about 10 ponies and thats like 800 used with the the cams and the itg i have would be a good combo :D

·
Alergic to the apex
5,308 Posts
I think I would rather take my car over to the AAautosprt boys and get the 1.6 pistons and liners and maybe whilst there, get them to fit the PTP kit :yes:

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think I would rather take my car over to the AAautosprt boys and get the 1.6 pistons and liners and maybe whilst there, get them to fit the PTP kit :yes:
Yeah the 1.6 kit and the ptp kit are much the same price. The ptp kit gives a few more bhp, and says theres a good amount of torque added but i dont think it would be as much as what the 1.6 kit would give. But bearing in mind, stright line speed pretty much comes down to BHP and weight, obviously not taking "drivability" into account.

·
Alergic to the apex
5,308 Posts
Yeah the 1.6 kit and the ptp kit are much the same price. The ptp kit gives a few more bhp, and says theres a good amount of torque added but i dont think it would be as much as what the 1.6 kit would give. But bearing in mind, stright line speed pretty much comes down to BHP and weight, obviously not taking "drivability" into account.
Don't forget the 1.6 conversion includes labour so will work out a lot cheaper. Combine the both though and you're onto a winner! :D

·
Premium Member
3,616 Posts
We have actually done a 1.6 conversion running the piper 255 cams not so long ago. The customer says it drives very very well, and is due back to us for a check over within the next couple of weeks (as they live a fair distance away and we obviously prefer to re run the engine in before giving it full poke). I'm sure he wont mind letting us do some comparisons to a standard 105 at that time either.

Also, another one to consider is what we did to dannyb's. The 1.6 conversion with VVC, power and drivability.

·
Alergic to the apex
5,308 Posts
We have actually done a 1.6 conversion running the piper 255 cams not so long ago. The customer says it drives very very well, and is due back to us for a check over within the next couple of weeks (as they live a fair distance away and we obviously prefer to re run the engine in before giving it full poke). I'm sure he wont mind letting us do some comparisons to a standard 105 at that time either.

Also, another one to consider is what we did to dannyb's. The 1.6 conversion with VVC, power and drivability.
Thats very interesting. Can you keep us informed how it goes please Ade?

Do you think that that PTP package combined with your 1.6 conversion is a good match or are there better cams for the job in your opinion?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts