MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having covered 25k in Michellin Pilot sports, they needed changing.

My tyre garage were informed through Michellin that the Pilot Sport is now out of production but has been replaced with Pilot Exalto. Labelled 'extra load' with thicker tyre walls and an improved tread pattern the difference is noticable but still marked ZR on the rubber.

Recommended.

Pilot Sport

Pilot Exalto

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
i have the pilot sports on the rear and the exalto"s on the front......
not cheap tyres though......cost me £105 each...
but they have not let me down at all

·
Registered
83 Posts
I also have these tyres on my Zed and they seem fine - I might be wrong but it looks from your photo as if they might be on the wrong way round - I think the right hand side surface which is wider should be on the outside of the wheel.

It even says outside on the wall of the tyre on mine. I must admit i've not checked mine though so I could be talking out of my a*se! :oops:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4ttwo said:
I also have these tyres on my Zed and they seem fine - I might be wrong but it looks from your photo as if they might be on the wrong way round - I think the right hand side surface which is wider should be on the outside of the wheel.

It even says outside on the wall of the tyre on mine. I must admit i've not checked mine though so I could be talking out of my a*se! :oops:
Spot on, so your not talking bollocks ! My tyre garage put the tread on wrong way round and only when I posted pics etc someone pointed out. :angry:
The garage turned it around, muttered 'sorry mate', sniggered at suggestion of replacement tyre and gave verbal abuse to the original fitter. :axe:

However I did join in though :evil: :boxing:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Had Michellins on an Astra Mark 3 from new and they were the worst tyres ever. I never liked the Continentals on my ZR 160 and once they'd worn out have purchased a set of Falken Zeiks (think that's spelt right) and not only can I now turn the wheel lock to lock without it grinding at the lock they grip a hell of a lot better than the Continentals as well. My personal opinion

·
Registered
242 Posts
The conti's on my ZR are ok on the back but they have next to bugger all traction on the fronts. My dad has just 36k miles out of the pilot premacy's on the front of his ZR, what does anybody else think of these?
How many miles do the Falkens last compared to the conti's?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've got a pair of Pilot Sports and a pair of Exaltos and have to say I can't tell the blindest bit of difference. I would rate the T1-R by Toyo though. The girlfriend's just got a pair on her car and it handles sooooo well compared to the Continentals she had before.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Monkey_nuts said:
I've got a pair of Pilot Sports and a pair of Exaltos and have to say I can't tell the blindest bit of difference. I would rate the T1-R by Toyo though. The girlfriend's just got a pair on her car and it handles sooooo well compared to the Continentals she had before.
Does she have a ZR mate?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hmm, not much here to add about tyres, I'm after some new alloys 17's or 18's, would like them to be booted up well though. Good spotting by the way about the tyre been the wrong way around.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Ive just bought 2 Pirelli P-0's for my front and they are really sticky to the black stuff. well worth it, got em from Kwik-Fit and was £253 fitted and balanced for the pair. Expensive but worth it.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
over the course of 3 years I have had a few tyres on my 160 from Pilot sport to Pirelli and conts. Currently have Michelin Pilot Exalto 2 and can say they are the best of the bunch if you can afford them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts