MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a new ZR160 in blue from my local dealer.

I currently drive a Lotus Elise which I have had from new and is now 3 years old. All my mates tell me not to buy the MG as its based on the old 25 which has been around for years. i think thay may be snobs and are comparing my current car with a completely different style of car.

I want a hatch and love the ZR looks and quite like its interior. As a package its my cheapest option as i can basicly trade my car in for a new ZR160. I'm looking at SecondHand Honda Type R, Meganne 225 or a Frod RS. Contrary to what I drive outright speed isn't everything, but I do live out in the sticks and have a good route to and from work. I like looks and how a car makes you feel just as much.

I know you guys are biased but is the zr actually any good.

Plase don't just shoot me down.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
it lacks the power of the other cars u mentioned but the handling is amazing and if you go for the MK1 160 it looks better and all the rest IMO

and welcome to the site

·
Registered
120 Posts
It is excellent performance wise and certainly it handles extremely well compared to other hot hatches.

It's 0-60 of 7.4 is up beyond most other hot hatches, although beaten by the cars in your list. The goodside of this though is that while the Honda uses a turbo to get to where it's at, the ZR is normally aspirated. Hence, no turbo lag, put this alongside the good handling then you've got a neat little package which is great fun on windy roads.

The downsides of the ZR are lack of features and goodies that you might get in the other cars. Coming from an Elise though, I doubt you'll miss them :p

Build quality is not as good as some of it's competitors. To be honest though, I've never considered this a problem. A rattle here and there appears on most cars after they've loosed up anyway. Certainly on reliablility I've had no breakdowns, trips back to the garage at all in the time I've owned mine. Done 20k in a year so far.

Also don't expect it to hold on to it's value as much as your Elise has!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The ZR is well equiped coming from my car so its options seem lenghy for me.

Rattles, please, please, please I can't hear rattles due to exhaust and road noise.

I haven't seen a real critisim from any owners, I know owners are biased but all the other sites I gone through the feedback seems very poistive which contradicts non owners views so I'm unsure as to wether the car is any good.

I have ahd a test drive and liked its chunky feel, it seemed to grip weel, seats seemed to support in the right place and i love the looks, for some reason its looks great to me.

·
Loadsamoney! So shut it!!!
4,103 Posts
i enjoyed it as a hot hatch...but i will be a bit of a shock to the system going from a Elise!

but still a fun car to drive!

·
Banned
14,285 Posts
I've had a few probs with mine but i love her to bits and wouldn't change for anything!! gotta show how worthwhile they are!!

welcome to the site anyhoo.....enjoy!!

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Welcome to the site mate.

If u have a choice go for the Civic Type R.

It will kick the ass of any Zed, handle at least as well and probably better.

If I had the spare cash, I would change it in a heartbeat.

The build quality and equipment on the Honda is light years in front of the MG as well. Resale will be much higher on the Civic

I would also suspect from owning many Honda's in the past that it will still be running long after the Zed has gone to the great service department in the sky.

That said if you do go for the ZR, you will definately enjoy it. There is something about owning a ZedR that is addictive.

Just be prepared to put up with one or two "quirks". ;) and for regular visits to your dealer

·
CheeseKitten
16,588 Posts
welcome...

gotta love the RS Focus for its looks, I liiiiike!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
My 160 will be 3 years old in March and I love it as much as the first day I got it. Yes the Civic is faster (Not by much) but for me it looks like a shopping trolly ;) There is something about driving a ZR that puts a smile on your face every time :mrgreen: Handling can't be faulted and its the kind of car that has been built for driver satisfaction. It has some minor faults that are easily sorted, lets face it alot of cars do nowadays. Also from what you have said the Zed is better then the Civic on country roads so you would have a blast :up: I have a mate with a Type R and one with a 172 cup and they both say the handling of the Zed is awsome and both love the looks.

Maybe I am biased being a Zed owner but if I didn't believe it why would I still own one ;) You may find these reviews interesting http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews4809.html

If you have any further questions about the 160 pm me and I will help all I can.

Have to agree the Zed just makes people stop and look :

Welcome to the site :wohow:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Nice looking car [email protected]

Don't get me wrong, I love my Zed, (albeit only a 105).

ZR's at whatever engine size, look the business and do attract lots of positive comments about their appearance. For the money, the looks and performance takes some beating.

At the end of the day though, the ZR is just a cheap car that has been around in various guises for quite a while and that is reflected in the build quality.

I have had loads a cars in the past and Japanese cars invariably have higher quality interior and exterior trim levels than a lot of European equivalents. They also have a long serviceable life span.

In a little under 7 years I covered almost 550,000 miles in just 3 petrol engined Japmobiles, without ANY let down or major replacement parts needed. At least two are still running now. Last one being a Primera GTI SE that was thrashed mercilessly and still came back for more after 150,000 miles plus.

It is probably unfair to directly compare the Type R Civic with a ZR, they are really aimed a level above even the 160 and are more capacious inside and in the boot area. They will also hold their resale better I suspect.

Hence the choice betwen second hand Type R and new 160 ? Either way, you will get a lot of car for what you pay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys really helpful comments and links. I might just go and swap my keys on Jan 4th unless they are open over xmas.

I kow its not the fastest but it sounds like a fun car, anything i get will feel slower than my car so actually 0-60 don't bother me its the feel which you guys seem to luv.

cheers. If I join the force I will be back.

·
2,070 Posts
Love the look of your car Flash nice one mate & welcome to the site dpfeehan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts