MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
nathan 25 -finished white mk 2 project **update 13** got some new shoes

hi, again well i thought id post up pics of my new car build, hopefully this one will be done how i want and i wont keep re building a it after. as some of you may know around a year and a half ago i converted a red 1.6 rover 25 to a black mk2 with a turbo conversion in. below is the progress thread

http://www.themgzr.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=69046

since then i have done bits to it, changed the seats, alloys and fitted a t28 and a fmic, but i was never happy with it, i felt i hadnt done it as best as i could, i couldnt get the paint to polish up and last, the shine would fade after a few days and even 6 months on the paint wouldnt harden in places, now im not sure if i got a bad batch of paint or if i dint mix or apply it right but it was all over the shell and i didnt want to waste time stripping it all off and starting again.

so i started to look for a cheap shell or a car that was being broken and manged to get a shell off andy and ade at AAautosport, turned up with a car trailer and took the shell away, its a rover 25 gti shell, i stripped it and then took them back the parts i didnt need.

sorry i dont have any pics but the garage i have is too handy to take up with respraying a car ,plus there would be overspray every where, so we put the shell in our car port and decided to make sides and make it into a spray booth we got some boards and blocked it in.

then i set about stripping the car properly, i stripped all the interior including dash

this is how it was left befor it will be sprayed.

next i started stripping the engine bay, i removed all the wiring, all the pipes ,clips and hoses, all the subframes etc

then i started cleaning it up, luckily the rust had run down from the abs carrier so this all wiped off, then i washed it, gave it a good wash with degreasant and gave it a bit of a key with some sang paper. all the little bits of rust i cleaned up and then started etch priming.

then it was time for a layer of white primer

then a quick rub down and a layer of colour the colour is satin white and is a volvo colour, its not ice white as i dindn't want it to look too much like a transit van but wanted a rich kind of white but not an old english white.

and finally a coat of lacquer

then i left this to dry, while i was doing this i had bought some shuts underseal spray for my van and had half of it left so i nasked up the front end and shultsed the front arches i stripped all the brackets etc and sprayed them

before

and after, should help protect them and it looks better

ive also started spraying brackets and things like the wiper motor up so they should look nice, ive now got the wiper motor, the arms and the brake vacume box thing,and a few more brackets back in the engine bay and they look a lot better and a good contrast against the white.

i also bought a red leather interior out of a brm along with a carpet and red seatbelts.

the bolster is a bit worn but ill try and get this sorted when i can.

theres a lot to do the engine also needs to be looked at as its started to smoke,and changint the turbo doesent work so it could do with a rebuild and a look at at least. a lot of the stuff will be powder coated or painted in order to look nice but more importantly it needs to work propely first. i also have a mk2 dash to go in. my main aim is to get the car looking good and running, then ill look at customising it, i am looking at having an install and possibly a car pc but that is in the future, i have quite a few ideas so it will be a case of doint this as and when.

at the moment the roof is primerd and i hope to get it sprayed and lacquerd before i go back to work on thursday. basically i dont want it to be a show car i am going to drive it regularly, basically i want it to be an every day car but a better version of the original. hope you all enjoy sitting down and reading this while im outside working away on the car,lol

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry pics arent too good they were taken on my phone and i think i may have mixed a few up on the engine bay.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
awesome Nathan :)

so what have you done with the old car? you still using it or going to transfer bitsw to the new one?

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
mate i love your projects you really go for it and it makes a great read, wish i had the balls/knowledge/time/money etc to do stuff like this myself lol :(

·
Banned
8,794 Posts
your black one was good, just the paint was a little flat. hopefully this one comes up a treat. will this be a turbo aswell?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yep this one will be a turbo

ye i liked my black one too, i would have liked to sell it on but the paint in that condition wasnt sellable so it will be scrapped.

thanks i wish i had the money to pay some one else to do it half the time but i do enjoy working on it, i constantly keep learning about my car my knowlege grows day by day lol, cheers for the comments. its the responses that make me wanna crack on and get it done when i cant be botherd, lol,

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
basically the shell i think, every thing else is getting swapped over, most of the stuff in the engine bay is going over, all the body pannels, i think the interior will be going for scrap apart from the seats and a few other bits ill have to see once ive swapped it every thing over.

·
OEM +
19,034 Posts
nathan you never do things by halves do you

i remember you telling me about this months ago and i totally forgot cant wait to see the finished product!!!

when you looking at getting it finished?
will it be ready for the full site meet

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
lol only just found this thread - my mk 2 is soon to be sprayed white!! LOL

My cousins over half is a sprayer and has offered me mates rates....

·
Banned
5,341 Posts
Nathan call me you gay your number wont work

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
right, first off the link to the black rover build thread is at the start of the post,
secondly andy ive pmd you, i lost my old phone and half the numbers in it

and lastly a little up date from today, i havent had chance to take any pics but the first layer of paint has gone on the roof, whoo!!! unfortunatly it needs flatting back a lot and a nother coat on it as my spray gun was leaking towards the end and has put some drips into the paint, lol not a big problem tho, so being naffed off i stripped my gun down to find a bust o ring in the paint pot pick up pipe, i also set about bolting things back in the engine bay, ive been stripping brackets and painting them up so now that is looking a bit better, im wanting to retain the bar at the back of the engine that holds the brake pipes up so thats in and a bit more sanding.

ill try and get some pics up tomorrow

1 - 20 of 246 Posts