MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
14,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now even tho my car isn't 3 till August, the warrenty is due to run out in 500 miles!!

Now as lots of you know i've had some pretty big problems with her!! My worry is now that something else major is gonna go wrong and i'll be left to pick up the bill!! I had my pistons and liners replaced last yr and recently when its really cold, the same noise has being happening....took her to her the garage (who have been really good with all my problems) but sods law, it was warm and made no noise!!

What i wanna know is where would i stand if the warrenty runs out and i get "big problems"?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Think you'll find once your warranty is gone, its gone...

Start paying for parts and labour...

How did your piston rings go?

·
CheeseKitten
16,588 Posts
On my old VW I had to have a whole top half of the engine, now because THOSE parts were new thye therefore had a warranty that extended beyond that of the original warranty of the car.
If that makes sense...

·
Banned
14,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah think so Jib.....what i'm worried about is that at Edmondsons, they said that if it is the pistons/liners then they would prob replace the whole engine at MG's request! :blink2:

·
Registered
406 Posts
Dealers nowadays offer a customer loyalty warranty. They don't advertise it as such but I was told about it after complaining to my service manager about all my vehicle problems.

If you've had your car serviced regularly with the dealer you bought it from, and you've not obviously been thrashing it, and they can see you don't neglect it, they will normally honour a repair if something serious goes wrong after your warranty runs out.

I'd certainly not bother getting an extended warranty (£275+) as it only covers very basics like clutch, engine and gearbox. The extended warranty doesn't cover anything cosmetic, doesn't cover rust, doesn't cover window and door seals, doesn't cover squeaks, rattles, anything.

One way to be safe is to see if your dealer will:

A) offer you a free years warranty based on the fact that your car has been in and out so many times

B) do you a very good deal on a new ZR so you get a new 3 years warranty on the new car

·
Banned
14,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm waiting for the result of my complaint to mg of which i'm told part of the compensation could be extended warrenty!!

My dealers are really good and after speaking to the service manager, he has assured me that he won't let it happen that it goes and i have to pay for it!!

Thank god!!

Just better get it in for all the other bits and peices b4 it really does run out!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
get the extended warranty m8.

i paid for an extra 2 years on top of the remaining 2 on my 25 when i bought it in oct 03. was around £225 for the 2 years.

i had an extended warranty on my old 214 and had a few claims off that. the only thing 2 watch for is if the car gets older than 5 year(or 60k miles) then the warranty will only cover engine/gearbox.

·
Registered
302 Posts
mine runs out in 5/6 months and am finding out about a years extention as im keeping her another year so will let ya know on a price if ya want, should find out today...

·
Banned
14,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah she is on 59, 500 (well just over)......and thx ZedR, could you find out what it covers too, cheers

·
Registered
301 Posts
more than 60k miles then it will only cover engine/gearbox.

i asked about this when i had my 214. warranty i had ran out after 60k miles and dealer reckoned it wasn't worth getting another warranty as it wud only cover major parts.

ask about a trade-in against a new one!!!

·
Banned
14,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
but i don't want a new one....and they'd hardly give me anything for mine!!! Plus i don't like the new shape!!

·
Registered
ZR 105 (IAB) ZR+120 (HQM)
1,369 Posts
I know some have had a few problems with their Zeds, but from my experience with an early bubble shape 216, I wouldn't worry too much about keeping it a bit longer.

I had it from 9 months old (9700 miles) to over 8 years old (and 108 000 on the clock). The ONLY cost outside of normal wearing parts and servicing was a new head gasket at about 80 000 miles (it wasn't a major one and only cost £250 to get repaired :mrgreen: ).

Mind you, if you drive hard and have performance enhancing mods such as an induction kit, this will inevitably put more strain on the engine.

·
Banned
14,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I haven't got an induction kit but i do have a full exhaust system!!

The only engine trouble i've had was the pistons and liners!! And Mg have now said that even after the warrenty is out, they will honour the repair!! Most of my probs have all been cosmetic!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
pistons/liners is a known fault(mine shows the same symptoms) so all cars built at the time should have been re-called anyway. so damn right they should stump up for repairs etc.

the k series is good for many miles though. i had my 214 for 4 years and had 70k on it when i sold it.....no hg problems either and still ran better than my 52 plate 25.

just keep it and run it until it falls 2 bits.....thats wot i was gonna do with the 214 until i saw the 25 at a price so cheap i couldn't resist.

how many mk2/3 200's do u see still around??? most mk3's look and sound as good as when they came out of the factory even though the earliest ones are over 8 years old.

or u could swop it for a diesel one. the L-series is good for many,many miles and u get the economy.......not 2 mention that its faster too!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Well found out yesterday that just b4 the warrenty runs out u will get a form sent to u saying do u want to extend it past the 3 years, as im going to keep my car another year i think it will be worth extending it to be on the safe side...

Not 100% sure what cover u get tho...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts