MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up this today, and love it :)

Its a 1.6 16v Zetec, only 51k, air con, abs, traction control, cd player. Comments welcome...

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
sorry mate but theres a reason i talked my ex into getting a (1.7 <--- only decent engine they put in them as standard) puma... because theyre a sexy little girls coupe. guys are supposed to get the cougar and personally i love them, i nearly traded the ZR160 for a v6 cougar (despite them being slower with only 170bhp from a 2.5v6 theyre easily tunable!) quite a few times now lol.

even the limited edition ford racing puma, which is actually very impressive performance, 150bhp from a 1.7, 7.9s 0-60 and awesome in the corners... body and interior are stunning too! is still a girls car at the end of the day.

plus the 1.6 puma is iirc very underpowered compared to the standard 1.7 puma so you managed to get a fairly weak engined girls coupe lol. i wont lie i drove my ex's puma probably more than she did because she hated driving and i love it... and theyre remarkably nice to drive, when you lower the seat (presuming all models came with this feature) theres plenty headroom for me and im 6', and alot of fun to drive, but it still felt wrong driving it haha.

·
Registered
11,424 Posts
you got that over a zr!? how come man :eek:

thought you had your heart set on a zed!

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
cougars are big heavy things, pumas are like go-karts :) Tbh, pumas arent dissimilar to zr's handling wise

cougars are essentially tarted up mondeos and because of this they are heavy, but the v6 makes up for it in torque, what it lacks in bhp from standard can easily be tuned as they run on the 170bhp mondeo st24 engine which with a quick wave of a magic wand produced 200bhp for the st200. they are very smooth and handle really well.

the puma is (in the same fashion) a tarted up fiesta, and id say they handle easily as well as if not better than my 160, and if you look at their standard suspension its pretty frigging high, lower it and it will outhandle the zr all day long.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd hardly say a 1.6 16v in that thing is underpowered! It's identical to a 105, but with better torque I'd imagine. Also, I had a 60bhp ibiza which was v slow, and handled like a boat. The puma is pretty quick at 10.1 to 60mph and handles like a dream, and looks far sportier.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you got that over a zr!? how come man :eek:

thought you had your heart set on a zed!
yeh I had, then I drove a puma and handling was v similar, but weirdly insurance is better than a 105. Also, the reliability of the zetec engine was attractive as Ill be using it everyday, and can do without worrying about HGF.Still love zeds mind, but this made more sense really and still feels special like zrs do.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
I'd hardly say a 1.6 16v in that thing is underpowered! It's identical to a 105, but with better torque I'd imagine. Also, I had a 60bhp ibiza which was v slow, and handled like a boat. The puma is pretty quick at 10.1 to 60mph and handles like a dream, and looks far sportier.

yeah but my point is the 1.7 "zetec" does 0-60 in 8.6... from an extra 0.1l, they started with just a piss poor 1.4 engine and a decent 123bhp 1.7l. then later decided to put the (iirc) 90ishbhp 1.6 "zetec" engine in... just makes you think why bother when the 1.7 was already so much better.

id like to add that zetec means bugger all anymore as iirc it hasnt been produced by whoever it was they worked with to engineer it for a LONG time, they just kept the name and put it on engines theyd like people to think are sporty

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Nice mate, I'm looking at one for my bro tomorrow only it's the 1.7.

You sooooo should have gone for the 1.7! Much much better, but you didn't so I won't piiss on your parade.
Does the 1.6 have the torque control? If so, get rid of that!

For all the haters, it's faster than a 105 zr after 60mph, so shh lol.

Needs slamming, some gunmetal turnis would look sick, and a racing puma splitter :)

·
IN for Mod hate!
25,170 Posts

You sooooo should have gone for the 1.7! Much much better, but you didn't so I won't piiss on your parade.

Needs slamming, some gunmetal turnis would look sick, and a racing puma splitter :)
only slightly

·
Registered
2,417 Posts

no no no no no dont do it for the love of god dont do it! lol

read my posts... when i see a guy driving one (and can only assume other people did when they saw me driving my ex's) i think "well he looks cool driving a girls car!" lol
even the 1.7 aint enough to make it feel like a guys car as my ex's was. at a PUSH id allow a guy to drive a ford racing puma... but only at a push! i saw one in wigan the other day when i was home with a halfords spoiler on it and i really wanted to go over and rip it off and beat him to death with it!

they look sexy because theyre a car for sexy young girls and it should stay at that!
the cougar is the guys version, even the 2.0l cougar at 140bhp isnt too bad, its about 10s 0-60 but can be tuned up if thats your thing.

just please no more guys with pumas its ruining their reputation as a car for sexy girls... so what will they drive then? an old tigra? [a corsa!] or a megane coupe? [nice car but FRENCH!]

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
faster.. didn't rate my mates much
hmmm don't know much about the 1.6 tbh, if it's the same as the 1.7 first gear is seriously limited by the 'torque control' (why a car with 125 odd bhp needs it is beyond me).

Anyone who reads evo magazine will know the puma 1.7 was rated 5* with huge praise, the 1.4 got lots of cred too.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
nice but a zed would have been better :no:

·
IN for Mod hate!
25,170 Posts
hmmm don't know much about the 1.6 tbh, if it's the same as the 1.7 first gear is seriously limited by the 'torque control' (why a car with 125 odd bhp needs it is beyond me).

Anyone who reads evo magazine will know the puma 1.7 was rated 5* with huge praise, the 1.4 got lots of cred too.
1.6 has 145 nm of torque from a 101bhp so more than the 123nm the zr has and its lighter, but the engine is seriously underpowered

1 - 20 of 104 Posts