MG ZR Forums banner
61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
13,694 Posts
I Keep nearly buying one tbh lol, me and my mate nearly bought a Cat C one to make into a track beast but couldnt find any storage.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Well, I hope you get one. Would love to have another just for track. It would be good to see another member with one - I am so bored of all the old people on the 205 forum!

·
R5 GT TURBO OWNER
3,131 Posts
I still.maintain if funds will allow me ill build a 205 track car running a supercharged gti6 engine. Love em along with the 5gtt they are the best hot hatch ever. Keep up.the work

·
Registered
847 Posts
Been doing some work on the 205 today. Started first time and seems to run ok. Did need some work done on the indicator electrics but is all fixed now. Just been quoted £121 a year for classic car insurance too! Let's hope the work needed for the mot isn't too much!

I spy a Puma racing in the background.....i absolutely love these! Awesome cars, is it yours and in good conditions?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
Well spotted on the FRP Monkey. It isnt mine, it is my brother in law's track car. It is in really good condition and is very nice to drive.

Good to hear other members have had or want a 205. I would love a Goodwood - they are suprisingly cheap considering there wasnt many of them made

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Mini update:

While I was using the 205 during the summer I found it had a seized rear beam on one side. This meant that it was bouncing around over bumps in the road. Rather than spending a lot of money to have mine refurbished, I managed to pick up one that was done around 5k miles ago from a member of a 205 forum. When the weather gets a bit better I will give it a coat of paint and then have it fitted along with my new silver 1.9 wheels.

Here is the beam. Is was rebuilt with new shafts, bearings and an uprated ARB so hopefully it will be a vast improvement!

·
Registered
13,694 Posts
You've certainly done the right thing there, mine was seized on my old 205. Swapped a few bits off a GTI but stripping it down and getting everything setup was a Pain in the arse lol.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Not much to update here, but I thought I would post to keep the topic alive! I haven't had much of a chance to work on the 205 this summer as the weather has been terrible. I also haven't bothered to renew the MOT etc, but I am still planning on getting it ready for shows soon.

The rear beam is still in my garden, but it has been painted. I will finish this soon and get some pictures. I am also close to finishing the wheels, which will soon be silver. I recently saw some cheap tint film on ebay which I thought was too good to miss as I have always wanted to have yellow driving lights. Let me know what you think!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
The car cost me £500 in 2008, but I claimed tax back and took it off the road... so really it was about £440. One of a similar condition would cost closer to £1000 now though. Well worth getting, they are easy to work on and are increasing in price. Can't wait to finish this.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
It has been slow process, but the 1.9 wheels have been painted, rear beam has been painted and fitted, car has had a full service with cam belt and a fresh MOT. Currently my daily driver while my Audi is off the road for a bit. New beam is a bit lower than the original so may lower the front. Undecided at the moment. I will be doing some body work next, sorting the odd patch of rust. Pics to follow as I cant seem to paste the image code on my phone!

61 - 80 of 92 Posts