MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may remember my thread last August when I was thinking about getting a 205 GTi - http://www.themgzr.co.uk/vb/showthread.php?t=104800&highlight=205gti

Well, I got it!

Since buying it I have taken it off the road for the winter but I am now in the process of getting it tidy for some summer use.

Here are some shots of how I bought it:

As you can see the seats had to go! I have since bought 3 sets of half leather seats which I am currently working on to make 1 nice set with rear headrests.

Other than that I have bought little things like new mudflaps, bumper paint, original induction system (had an open cone K&N when I got it) and some 1.9 speedline wheels.

Over the next couple of weeks I intend to have most of the work done and will update along the way.

Some shots of how it currently stands:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are such nice little cars. I really want to make it as nice as possible but without spending too much money. Tonight I am sewing the burst seams on my seats!

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like you have your work cut out on those seats, Are you really going to repair them??
No, not those ones. I have sold those covers on to someone who wanted the material to fix their own.

I have gone for some half leathers from the earlier 1.9s as I like the retro look. Once I have finished a set I will take a photo. I have a lot of seams to sew, bolsters to replace and leather to dye. It is suprising how easy it is to make some buggered seats look nice with a little bit of effort!

·
Registered
13,694 Posts
I LOVE 205 GTIs!

They're the only french car I truely like. Loved my old 205 1.1i "Style" edition :tongue:
Had some GTI suspension, brakes and exhaust but is never such a match to a GTI.

Is that a 1.9 or 1.6 Mate?

·
Registered
7,450 Posts
I LOVE 205 GTIs!

They're the only french car I truely like. Loved my old 205 1.1i "Style" edition :tongue:
Had some GTI suspension, brakes and exhaust but is never such a match to a GTI.

Is that a 1.9 or 1.6 Mate?
Haha mine was a 1.1 "Trio" edition :lol:

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks, What are your plans?? Restore?
Yes. I just love the original look. Obviously with the 1.9 seats and 1.9 wheels it won't be 100% original but I will keep the 1.6 wheels should I decide to change back.

I basically want it to look as clean as your turbo. I think I will have the carpet out for a wash before I get it on the road. I plan to keep the 1.6 engine and should anything major go wrong with it I may decide to upgrade to a 306 GTi6 engine.

Other than that it needs some minor body work and a good service. Hopefully will be done soon, but I had someone crash into my ZR yesterday so I don't want to be putting any money into this until I find out how my insurance claim is going to come out

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I think OE is the new craze tbh, Looking at the price of the Standard, good condition, 80's hatches on the net, they make big money alwell. Ive noticed the price of the 5gtts go up roughly 20% in the last 6 orso months.

·
Registered
13,694 Posts
Awesome, even though the 1.6 is less powerful its actually a more responsive engine.

Just looking at this makes me want to by a 205 GTI or a 205 and make a GTI replica.

Haha mine was a 1.1 "Trio" edition :lol:
lol, my car had anything but style :D Although what worries me is the paintwork on my ZR is in worse condition than my old 1993 205 :svk:

1 - 20 of 92 Posts