MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
latest update

A new Internet worm is squirming through Microsoft Corp.'s popular MSN Messenger chat network, anti-virus vendors warned on Thursday.

The latest threat comes follows October's Funner worm attack and signals a growing trend to use instant messaging as a delivery mechanism for malicious activity.

According to an advisory from F-Secure, the new W32/Bropia-A worm users MSN Messenger to lure users into downloading one of the following files: "Drunk_lol.pif"; "Webcam_004.pif"; "sexy_bedroom.pif"; "naked_party.pif"; or "love_me.pif."

Once executed, Bropia-A also drops a variant of the Rbot backdoor Trojan. Rbot represents the large family of backdoors fitted with the ability to control a victim's machine remotely by sending specific commands via IRC channels.

F-Secure warned that the bot can also be used to hijack system information, log keystrokes, relay spam or steal sensitive data. Bropia.A can also disable a mouse's right button and manipulate Windows mixer volume settings, according to the company.

Sophos, a Lynnfield, Mass.-based anti-virus firm, also issued an advisory for the newest MSN Messenger threat, warning that an infected computer will attempt to spread the worm to all active MSN contacts.

the full story is available at

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1752988,00.asp

be very wary people i know a lot of our members are on msn !!!!!!!!!

some additional info is also available

W32.Bropia is a worm that spreads via Microsoft's MSN Messenger instant message program and drops a variant of W32.Spybot.Worm.

Note: Virus definitions version 70119ao (extended version 2005/1/19 rev. 40) or greater are required to detect both threats.

Also Known As: Win32.Bropia.A [Computer Associates], Bropia.A [F-Secure], IM-Worm.Win32.VB.a [Kaspersky Lab], W32/Bropia.worm [McAfee], W32/Bropia-A [Sophos], WORM_BROPIA.A [Trend Micro]

Type: Worm
Infection Length: 159,744 bytes

Systems Affected: Windows 2000, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows Server 2003, Windows XP

again full info available at

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.bropia.html

·
Loadsamoney! So shut it!!!
4,103 Posts
my MSN was plauing up for a bit the error reporting sent me off to Norton!!

but my norton gets a bit upset and closes leaving the internet security running! and i worked ok!

i blame the Dead Cow brigade! very clever peeps!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cheers Stewart

A couple of people at work have just opened it !!

Great fun trying to remove it, looks like norton can't pick it up either !

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
MSN triumphs yet again :roll:

Well done monkeyshaft - you'd think with all those $billions you'd be able to make a bug-less peice of sotfware.

Other people manage on a budget of $0!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts