MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cupra 20VT baby!
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just adding a few pictures from my trip round Via Gelia in Derbyshire. My tyres were a bit shredded by the time I got home though! :hooray:

·
Registered
8,721 Posts
Nice photos, always wanted a bike just for weekends but i cant afford it as of yet :(

·
Fake Bans FTW!!!
1,482 Posts
nice bike mate :) this time last year i was going to get another bike gsxr 600 new but glad i didnt because i wouldent be posting here now :D:D:D id kill myself if i had another bike tbh

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
i do like these bikes how much did it cost to get your license including lessons if u dont mind me asking
Well its quite expensive - esp considoring what is below is based on prices about 4 years ago when i was learning:

CBT was £65 for the day (had my own moped then, hiring a bike obv cost more)
Lessons were £33 for 2.5 hours - (if you have't riden a bike with gears before leanr on your own at home, a school will hapily supervise you driving around in circles in a carpark!!!)
Test was £35 or £40
Theory Test ~ £30.
To get the extra symbol on the license costs another £17 :(

Depedning on your age you can do two things. Buy slow crappy bike, do a CBT and ride around on L plates for 2 years. After this you have to take your test.

If you take the full test test (A class iirc) on a 400cc bike and > 40 bhp (cant remeber exact figures, but the school used Honda 400s) you can immediately ride anything after passing. iirc you also had to be a bit older (21 ish) to take this option, as you don't want 17 year old chavs bombing around on R1's do we??? :)

If you take the lower verson of the test and pass on a bike up to 33 bhp you can ride around without L plates for two years and then then get any bike you want. But for two years you have grind your teeth and ride 125s around.

I took the latter option. Did my test on a restricted NSR125, passed and happily rode around for 2 years without L plates (got the NSR125 derestricted with bigger sprockets so it did 109 mph).

After two years a bought a VFR400 (not as mint as the Ops mind!) and got knocked off after a week (was waiting at a juntion to turn and some silly woman decided to hit me from behind, ended up claiming over 4 grand off her and she had to attend groups and redo her test). This put me off and I turned to cars.

As i have just got a new job that is literally a 2 minute commute I may get a bike for weekend use, as I'll save loads on fuel. I'm thinking an oldish CBR600 or Fireblade in good condition.

·
Cupra 20VT baby!
2,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Aye, definately agree. Plenty fast enough and Im improving on the handling still, will accept being thrown about all day long! Was looking at doing a trackday at Donington Park next month so there should be a few videos and pictures from that!

With regards to cost of getting on 2 wheels it goes a little like this..

CBT £110 (This includes rental of scooter, gear etc)
5 Day course £600 (I had never touched a gear bike the previous week so decided to take a 5 day. You can do 3/4/5. Its up to you, but I didnt fancy risking it. This included training, rental, theory and test)

Thats £610 and it takes 5 days to go from nothing to a 33bhp restricted bike (If you choose to restrict it!).

I hardly use my car anymore, have done about 20 miles in it this week!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts