MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know what sort of power i can drag out of my 105?
It topped out at about 110 last night so i want more power.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
more power doesnt mean more speed, and tbh 110 from a 1.4 is pretty damn good.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
andyw said:
Cheers for that. I'll have to save and get a 160 instead
Or a 120, if you spend about 1K on a 120 with ported head and cams, and maybe 800 on exhaust youd be close if not more than a 160, gunny did it here and i think he had 150+ bhp out of it.

·
Registered
556 Posts
hob said:
Or a 120, if you spend about 1K on a 120 with ported head and cams, and maybe 800 on exhaust youd be close if not more than a 160, gunny did it here and i think he had 150+ bhp out of it.
Only problem is you will end up with a car which costs more to insure than the 160 with less power.

And the same age ZR160 is not £2k more than the 120 (second hand) so the economic's don't add up.

Fine if you buy a 120 because insurance was too much and then mod it a couple of years down the line as your NCB builds.

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Stu said:
hob said:
Only problem is you will end up with a car which costs more to insure than the 160 with less power.

And the same age ZR160 is not £2k more than the 120 (second hand) so the economic's don't add up.

Fine if you buy a 120 because insurance was too much and then mod it a couple of years down the line as your NCB builds.
Yea thats what i meant :D if you can lay down nearly 2k to start off with buy a 160 :D

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Sorry but I dont understand why people what their cars to do more that 110mph??? The speed limit 70! Im not saying I dont speed, cos I think everyone does but 110mph! I would prefer my 105 to get to 70 in 2 seconds than do more than 110mph!!!!!!

Does anyone agree with me??

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Gordy said:
Sorry but I dont understand why people what their cars to do more that 110mph??? The speed limit 70! Im not saying I dont speed, because I think everyone does but 110mph! I would prefer my 105 to get to 70 in 2 seconds than do more than 110mph!!!!!!

there a two people...

speeders
accelerators

unless your can afford a car that does both :D diff people prefer diff things, im an accelerator

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Gordy said:
Sorry but I dont understand why people what their cars to do more that 110mph??? The speed limit 70! Im not saying I dont speed, because I think everyone does but 110mph! I would prefer my 105 to get to 70 in 2 seconds than do more than 110mph!!!!!!

spot on there gordy m8...thats the way i feel ......
im more interested in getting to 100mph than above it........... :up: :up:

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
i know this sounds hypocriticall with the car i drive but if you go over 100 you lose your lience so whats the POINT

·
Registered
12,564 Posts
Shifty said:
i know this sounds hypocriticall with the car i drive but if you go over 100 you lose your lience so whats the POINT

12 i belive.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
hob said:
Shifty said:

12 i belive.
ha ha hob but if your caught over 100 you lose your lience and are fined so IMO there is very little point in going over 100mph

·
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
All good points but i live very near an air field where you can have some legal fun on. I do agree that there is no point of doing these sorts of speeds on the highways as you will end up with no licence and a huge fine.

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
If I speed on the roads I get banned and/or fined large amounts of money...

So If the money is to be spent, rather than on convictions I'll save it for a decent track experiance!

Top speed for a 105 is 109mph according to MG's stats and figures, with a few thousand spent you'll get it up a few mph, but you'll not get the 130mph the 160 is capable of...

If its about showing other road users what you can do, get it to 70 as quick as you can, leaving them behind then ease up and cruise. Stop playing before they catch up and you've already won. You cant loose if the sprint is over :mrgreen:

Most importantly, dont let ANYONE push you to the limits. Thats when mistakes are made. Always make your own calm descisions and dismiss the others as immature kids who need to grow up.

·
Registered
446 Posts
yeah i agree with gt and when i eventually get round to improving my new zed i would ratjer have acceleration than top end :up:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts