MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya!

I bought my MK2 ZR at the beginning of the month, and noticed condensation forming on the inside of the headlights......

I phoned the Rover dealer, and they said that it was a known fault, and letters were going out to the owners of potentially faulty cars.

Its in the garage getting sorted, but has anyone else came across this recall? or had a similar experience?

(Apparently its not just the ZR, its the new 25 as well) :blink2:

Cheers,

Steven

·
1,232 Posts
Yeah, its been mentioned in the "Problems" section.

If you ask me, the lights are of pretty poor design, what with the condensation & the vertical beams.

[edited added pic]

·
1,232 Posts
Yeah thats mine.. On one side I have loooads, it even on the indicator.

Yet the other has no such problem.. It's odd.

·
Registered
775 Posts
i had this on my mk1 zed went back 3 times and still the same even fitted new lights (on warenty) but still they misted up, so i put a little grease round the rear bulb caps to seal them right off and BAM! they got worse, so d rilled 2 10mm holes in the middle 2 light bulb caps to let air in (thus stopping it from condencing) and WHOOOOO clear as a whistle they dont mist at all now not even a bit , as a quick fix to see if it works just remove the caps for a few days and they will clear no problems,

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tip **** - will see what the result is when I get the car back.

My dad took the car up to the dealer, and he says he noticed that the indicators at the front were half full of water....... VERY weird!!! I never noticed this before, but it surely isnt right - again, we will see what its like when I get it back.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Water leaking in is a totally differant thing mine was just misting like your pic, and letting air in sorted this prblem out , but if its half full of water then there is a problem with the seals, taking the back bulb cover off will sort the head lights out from misting , after a ride out and the covers off i pull on the driver and watched them demist infront of me :up:

·
Registered
446 Posts
must admit ive noticed condensation on mine once.You got me worried now :blink2:,is it something i should worry about or is it not that much of a problem?
thanks

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well mine is getting sorted free of charge under warranty, so take it back to the dealer and they will sort it out...... after all, you are paying well over £10k for a car, you want it to be as near-perfect as possible!

·
1,232 Posts
My condensation has been there since I got the car, though the ammount sometimes changes - the least I've seen was when some condensation & water drops between the two bulbs, the most, covering the entire headlight.. Never had it with none.

·
Registered
775 Posts
just take them caps off dude and youll be sorted , i got fed up of getting out the car and checking the lights and it really bugged me when it happened, sometime they would clear after a trip out with the lights on but once it was parked up and it was a cold night they just misted up, its been 3 weeks now since i drilled the holes in the caps and they havn't misted once even in the snow, it worked for my brother inlaw to on his vectra so dont worrie ,

·
Registered
446 Posts
well i just phoned up my dealers eastern rover of chelmsford and they reckon theyve not heard of this problem.but theyve booked it in.I also want them to look at my driver side electric window only i cant partially open it,as soon as i press the button it opens all the way

·
1,232 Posts
Just out of intrest, has anyone worked out what that storage box under the CD player is for? (next to the cup holders)
As it sure wont fit any of my CDs

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I havent had any trouble with the windows, all in - I have 6 problems with the car (Which are all getting sorted)

1. Condensation in Headlights
2. Central Locking sometimes not opening drivers door, having to press button twice to open
3. End cap off of Drivers seat missing
4. Front Indicator Lights full of water
5. Alarm occasionally goes off after 10 seconds of locking the car
6. I hate that auto-locking feature, so its getting turned off

Think thats it lol

Steven

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no its just a small storage area for coins or whatever (Seeing as the new model doesnt have a storage tray in leu of the Passengers airbag)..... I use it for my mobile phone

·
Registered
43 Posts
bully said:
I also want them to look at my driver side electric window only i cant partially open it,as soon as i press the button it opens all the way
That is what it is meant to do, it is known as one touch down.
To stop the window when it is in motion you need to pull the putton up as if you are putting the window up.

·
1,232 Posts
As this topics back up, my dealers had a look at my lights today.
Its now got loads of burn marks/scratches on it... and the condensation is still there!
Going to have to go back on Jan 5th and complain

·
Registered
4,808 Posts
ZRman said:
bully said:
I also want them to look at my driver side electric window only i cant partially open it,as soon as i press the button it opens all the way
That is what it is meant to do, it is known as one touch down.
To stop the window when it is in motion you need to pull the putton up as if you are putting the window up.
You can always just press it down twice!!

·
Registered
446 Posts
sorry to bump this topic but has anybody here who took there zed in have there condensation prob sorted only im taking mine in on tuesday.
thanks!!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts