MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone here had their mid box replaced with a straight thru pipe? wud there be any problems doing this?

·
989 Posts
yeah it does but if youve got a decent backbox itll just increase the sound ....

ive tried it but with a 5 inch magnex backbox the sound was unbearable... set car alarms of when i rolled past and i had to keep poppin my ears when i had my windows closed.

G

·
If you decrease the backpressure too much on a normally asp engine then you can loose power without the necessary scavenging that back pressure induces.

Try it and see, but the only true test will be a before and after on rolling road.

The fact that top tuners like Janspeed dont might point towards something but TBH not really certain.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well im keepin the silencer just incase i dont like it so i can get it put back in. i have a 5" oval universal backbox

·
Registered
556 Posts
Not sure on the 105, but the majority of times it has a detrimental effect on the VVC engines. One of the big mistakes the powerflow fitters make is reducing the size of the mid box.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i removed my middle silencer on mine and its made a difference no doubt. Got a nice bark to it too! It is loud but i got one of those tuneable ones so silencer clip goes on when i go on motorways.

All this talk of loosing power i dont think IMO is true. Mine isn't VVC but the 1.8 non vvc and if anything my throttle response is better than before, not a huge difference but its noticeable.

·
Registered
298 Posts
well i had a straight thru pipe without a cat or even backbox! The sound was unbearable and i took my car back 2 days later and had a 26inch silencer mounted down the middle of the car - its still loud but doesnt set off car alarms like before, plenty of poppin too.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The loss of power has been proven on at least 4 occassions I know of on a rolling road with bfore and after maps. So it is more than true. Certainly more so that "it feels better".

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have sraight through pipe on mine and it sounds great! i wouldnt advise it though if you dont get on with your neighbors :)lol i have also posted advise on the engine management light comming on after you decaat it. i also didnt lose power i gaind it at top end but the straight through pipe is also with a few other mods? WHICH HELPS

·
Registered
78 Posts
Stu said:
The loss of power has been proven on at least 4 occassions I know of on a rolling road with bfore and after maps. So it is more than true. Certainly more so that "it feels better".
well only one way of finding out, i need to Rolling Road mine at some point anyway see what its running at the moment whether those breathing mods have made a difference. But like I said I havent noticed a loss of power with mine. We could sit and argue the point all day which would be totally pointless. Just need to find a RR near where I live.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Will be interesting to see.

The is no reason why with the right back box, the straight through mid shouldn't work. Just yet to see it.

Do really need a before and after though to see if that one mod has gained or lost.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Stu said:
Will be interesting to see.

The is no reason why with the right back box, the straight through mid shouldn't work. Just yet to see it.

Do really need a before and after though to see if that one mod has gained or lost.
thats the problem because I havent done a before result. Least I know what the original power output is as standard, will let you know:)

Edgar, its a bit of both but more rasp and resonance to it, if your doing over 70mph, its pretty unbearable unless you got a backbox with a tuneable silencer clip to dampen the noise and trust it makes a diff with the clip on, much nicer on motorway. Other thing inside the car with windows up it can be bassy, with them down its not too bad.

Mine has quietened down a little bit as it had a nasty roar bark, now a little less.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
right guys im very tempted to get this done but i cant bloody decide wat to do!

i know its my decision but wat do u guys think?

·
2,039 Posts
People have given their opinions either for or against. The ultimate choice has to be yours, but doing a before and after RR session will show any pluses or minuses in performance, also the sound issue is something to consider as it may be too loud and apart from being uncomfortable may well attract unwanted attention from the local boys in blue.

Bottom line is that people can argue all day about such a mod but the chioce has to be made by you and you alone !!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
AndyK160 said:
People have given their opinions either for or against. The ultimate choice has to be yours, but doing a before and after RR session will show any pluses or minuses in performance, also the sound issue is something to consider as it may be too loud and apart from being uncomfortable may well attract unwanted attention from the local boys in blue.

Bottom line is that people can argue all day about such a mod but the chioce has to be made by you and you alone !!!
2nd that, choice is down to personal preference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts