MG ZR Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope you guys had a great xmas and your wallets aren't to thin! I was talking to my uncle yesterday about cars in general. He's been a salesman for various car companies over the last five years and his first job was at MG Rover Dixons in Bradford {Hence the two ZR's i've owned at a bargain price!}.
He now works at Renault due to better wages and stuff; so i was asking about the Clio 172's performance compared to a ZR 160 and got an honest and amazing answer -

The Zr 160's performance is far superior to the 172's; in handling, and quality. Even the Clio 180 {correct me if i'm wrong!} can't touch the mighty ZED.

I've been having doubts about MG's, seeing them as rovers tarted up, using the same shell, changing headlights and kits. BUT, modding motors isn't a bad thing, just making a great thing even better.

Have a great new year everyone and i hope to meet you at the events planned in 2005! ;)

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
all depends on the driver accually

the 160 is a match 172 if the 160 has had some minor mods on like an induction kit and a perforrmance back box and in regards to handling the ZR has the better handling there is only 1 other car what has better handling than the ZR witch is the Civic type R

the 182 will not be matched by the ZR unless they bring out the ZR210
which is higly unlikly as MGR do not have the funds to release it

G

·
The biggest factor is the nut that holds the steering wheel as you should well know Mitchy after your spectacular demise of your Z.

On paper many cars seems better than others and I am in no doubt that in the hands of 2 equally experieced and talented drivers the Clio would probably wipe the floor with the Z. Put a good driver in a ZR and a lesser driver in the Clio and the Clio will only ever see the exhaust of the ZR. Power will never be a substitute for talent and skill.

That apart, the Clio is pig ugly and made by Sheep burning, frog eating, UK hating bigots and if you think the build quality of the ZR is poor, try a clio! :twisted:

·
SRS Xmas Pants On!
11,286 Posts
You do realise this is called theMGZR.co.uk. If you don't like the ZR or have anything good to say about them, please don't say anything as you know full well that all it does is cause arguements.

There are many views which are quicker, better handling etc etc etc, I could go on for days about it BUT at the end of every argument it comes down to ONE thing, PERSONNAL CHOICE!

If you have chosen another car instead of the ZR, thats is your choice, more power to you but DO NOT come on here and start saying the MG ZR is crap etc compared to other cars. Look what happened last time.

·
SRS Xmas Pants On!
11,286 Posts
Light Sabre said:
That apart, the Clio is pig ugly and made by Sheep burning, frog eating, UK hating bigots and if you think the build quality of the ZR is poor, try a clio! :twisted:
PMSL, good call Nick. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :up: :up:

·
1,443 Posts
True the ZR is a far nicer looking car. (The Mk 1 anyway)
Its a close 1 on build quality, but again i'll go for the ZR.

Performance, i'll disagree and go with the clio.
Handling goes to the clio aswell i'm afraid.

That's not really dissing the zed, Ive evenly matched it at 2-2.

Both good cars, be happy with what you've got is all i'll say. :up:

·
1,443 Posts
Weren't an argument mate, i just replied that i disagreed on the basis that the clio was lighter, more powerful and more torquier.

ZR owners don't want to be reminded of this so i edited my post.

Anyway :xmas:

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.