MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Slacker Industries
10,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i got my ZR i was given the old style key fobs and i am wanting a set of the cool lookin MG ones...

My dealer told me £105 for parts and labour...but i aint payin that so ive found a NEW pair in box with the original barcodes...

Any idea how much these are owrth on their own?

Its only a small mod, but i ike the MG style one..and the boring black ones i got looks shite!!!

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

:up:

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
the new style plips will not work on a old stlye plip car the later zr's have an scu where as the earlier car just have an alarm ecu

·
Slacker Industries
10,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But mine is a later ZR...i got mine on a 53 Sep reg the same as Jonnaz and sfalcus (no longer got his zed).....they both got the new style plips and i didnt...so does this mean i have a different alarm?

Steven actually got his zed before mine..by about 2 weeks and we both used the same dealer...!!!

So will they definately not work with my zed?

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
seen this problem before your car is most like to be an early car that has been in a compound for a while then when you brought it, it was called over that will be why your car has got the old style plips. The new style plips will definatly not work on your car
sorry

·
Banned
2,106 Posts
Keith jen(hooded claw)fitted the internal's from the ''old''style 2 button fob into the ''new'' 2 button MG fob i'm shure he would tell you how if you ask.

·
Flat Capper
707 Posts
I agree with what s been said, its a new alarm system, hence the new fobs.

Anything can be retro fitted for enough dosh... £105 isnt that bad all inclusive.

Please bear in mind that a modified alarm WILL affect your insurance, and it wont be manufacturer standard. It could (believe it or not) have a negative effect as the normal MGR setup is quiet well rated.

If you want to check the age of your car against someone elses, dont go by the reg plate, go by your MG Issue number on the plaque in the drivers door pillar.

Also, unless you get your dealer to do it, you WILL void your warranty for any related parts (alarm, immoboliser, electrics, engine management etc etc).

If you are that desperate for the fobs, just pay the £105 and get the better alarm system fully fitted by a warranty friendly dealer install. This will also aid insurance.

Otherwise, make do with the current fobs ;)

G

·
Got mine from Avon Automotive Diagnostics for a shade under £40 (and they re-programmed all my others as well). Its the one on the right. Comes in several different colours and has a nice little red LED that lights up. Has quite a bit better range as well. (I added the MG badge myself)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts