MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I parked my MG ZR 5dr outside for a few months, came to unlock it and the key fob didn't work. But the fob will lock the car, and the car will start with it.
Its not the Lucas style but the Oval one, worked fine up until now.

The other issue is opening the boot as i can't get the key more than 1/4 the way in. No amount of WD-40 or GT-85 has helped.

Any help?

·
Registered
ZR 105 (IAB) ZR+120 (HQM)
1,369 Posts
I would say that it is the relay in the Pektron SCU which has failed - there are 5 double relays within the unit that control various electrical functions, and the original ones are well known for failing.

They are relatively easy to replace, and reliable replacements are available for about £5. See Here for information about the Pektron SCU and its faults, where to find it and how to remove it. The owner of that website is well known and well respected around the MG and Rover forums, and can either supply replacement relays for you to solder in yourself, or can replace them for you for a reasonable charge (this means posting the unit to him in Brighton, but he usually has a very quick turnaround time so you would normally get the repaired SCU returned on the fourth day after you post it to him on a 'next-day' service).

There is also a useful YouTube vid Here which shows the complete removal, repair and refitting of a Pektron SCU. Although it shows a Mk2 ZR, the location and procedures are the same on a Mk1.

Your tailgate lock problem will very likely be because the lock barrel has become seized through lack of use (common where central locking is fitted), and can only really be solved by removal of the complete lock, and dismantling the barrel and cleaning the levers - not a job for the faint hearted to be honest, having done it on two ZRs myself - the lock itself is a bit of a fiddle to get out of the tailgate, but the really important thing is to ensure that you keep the levers in the correct order and correct orientation to match the key (I got them mixed up the first time I did this, and it took several hours of fiddling about/trial-and-error to get the barrel to match the key again!). You may be lucky and find that eventually a penetrating fluid may free the barrel up, but it might take weeks! My recommendation for this would be Plus-Gas (certainly far better than WD-40, but probably closer in performance to the GT-85.

I would strongly recommend using dry graphite lock lubricant on all lock barrels at least yearly to avoid having them seize.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts