MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so something a little different lol.

Having owned a Rover 25 for a year, using it daily, the key going in and out of the pocket, I got quite used to the rather "normal" sized Rover key.

A year down the line I decided to by the ZR........ I loved the styling of the car, the interior, the spec..... until I picked the bugger up. :blink2:

I have to say that the MG ZR (And indeed all current cars across the MG range) has the ugliest car key ever!!! Its a Massive big hexagon, which I can feel all the time in my pocket!

Call me mad if you wish, but there "May" be someone else out there who agrees with me! lol :bash:

Left: Rover Keys Right: MG Keys

What are your views? ;)

·
Registered
556 Posts
I also have both sets. Prefer the older style key, but much prefer the newer fob.

Would have been nice if they could have come up with a flip key this time round.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah the newer fob is much nicer, except I think they should have switched the buttons around - on the old style (2 button) fob, Unlock was Left, Lock was Right - on the new style (3 button) fob, Unlock is Right, Lock is Left, and the remote boot release is at the bottom.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Yeah, does catch me out whenever I get in the ZS as I use the Coupe most of the time. I always have to look at the buttons.

But the boot release is fantastic isn't it.

·
1,232 Posts
My mums (old) vauxhall car used to have the fob built into the key and it even had a little light, which came in handy... I want a key like that :(

G

·
If you have a look in this months ToalMG there is a company doing replacement fobs for MG-R. They are not too far from me and I am going to go and call in when I get a chance and aget a completely new fob

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Fobs are OK on the newer MG's but the keys look and feel cheap and tacky.

Why do we have to have a bendy top an' all :x:

Why,why,why can't someone come up with a conversion to put the Fob into the head of the key?? Saves on bulk and looks better.

Meta do a key conversion for their alarm fob, it aint rocket science to design and make something for the std MGR setup is it??

·
Registered
147 Posts
Used to drive a Rover 200 and I must say the MG keys and remote fobs are much nicer.

Agree with element tho, the Renault key card is very nice, drove a few Lagunas a couple of years back - just jump in, insert yer card and press the Start button - swish !

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
yeh someone at work had a big renault and it had a card key, very very nice, but a right bitch if you forgot it or lost it, i mean , you know if your keys are in your pocket but a lil credit cards a different matter

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does anyone know if a company do replacement keys? For instance can i get my key fitted into one of those flip keys? The biggest problem is the actual metal bit of the key is much longer than normal cars.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Ive never really noticed the key, i like the fob but wish the key didnt bend, not complaining though as central locking is new to me too! lol

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I suppose I shouldn't really complain, central locking is new to me as well - my W plate 25 didn't have it, although my mums X plate 25 does lol.

As it stands, we now have 4 MG Rovers in the family.....

My W Plate 25 (Gold) - 25i
My Mums X Plate 25 (Silver) - 25iS
My Dads 54 Plate 25 (Blue) - 25SeI
My ZR

Will get a photo of all 4 cars lines up, that will be interesting ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts