MG ZR Forums banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,429 Posts
They Work On Low Down Revs Slighlty, But all it does is over fuel Your Engine, And Stops Things Working As They Should, If You Want More Fuel, Increase The Fuel Pressure With A Boost Valve And Fuel Pump.

I Had My 160 Rolling Roaded On Friday With A Boost Valve, And An Inline Fuel pump, Running Standard Exhaust And Induction At 172 BHP
Can i ask ?

Do You Have An Ocd :)

·
Need a new car!
2,054 Posts
My mate actually bought one of the chips for his Fiesta and came round bragging hes going to have the fastest car with his +10bhp chip untill we all told him to read the small print! Which actually states that it causes damage to the engine and that you fit it at your own risk!

Im safe to say it never came out the packet lol.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Alright guys, my friend is an electrician so managed to nik a resistor chip off him of the same resistance as these ones being sold on ebay. Tried it on my car for about 30 mins purely for the sake of science and its does make a bit of difference. Ill explain;

1. First off the throttle response seems a bit more "crisp". Not sure of any power increase but when you put the foot down you can feel a bit more a thrust forward even when your higher up the gears.
2. Engine noise is slightly increased.
3. Only had the chip in for half an hour or so, was a bit scared of having it in longer with the problems they apparently lead too. Havent had it rolling roaded but from trying it i reckon its probably a gain of around 5-10 bhp (Same sort of difference in thrust a good induction kits adds is the best way to describe it).
4. Didnt really notice the petrol being used up any quicker than when i normally rev it around a bit.

So on the face of it it seems to be an alright little cheap mod, but i reckon more research would have to be done to the extent of the effects it has.

·
Need a new car!
2,054 Posts
Alright guys, my friend is an electrician so managed to nik a resistor chip off him of the same resistance as these ones being sold on ebay. Tried it on my car for about 30 mins purely for the sake of science and its does make a bit of difference. Ill explain;

1. First off the throttle response seems a bit more "crisp". Not sure of any power increase but when you put the foot down you can feel a bit more a thrust forward even when your higher up the gears.
2. Engine noise is slightly increased.
3. Only had the chip in for half an hour or so, was a bit scared of having it in longer with the problems they apparently lead too. Havent had it rolling roaded but from trying it i reckon its probably a gain of around 5-10 bhp (Same sort of difference in thrust a good induction kits adds is the best way to describe it).
4. Didnt really notice the petrol being used up any quicker than when i normally rev it around a bit.

So on the face of it it seems to be an alright little cheap mod, but i reckon more research would have to be done to the extent of the effects it has.
You blatently sell them on eBay lol.

Joking mate!

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
You blatently sell them on eBay lol.

Joking mate!
Lol if i did id have left out the part about not buying them till more is done to find out the effects lol, plus id have quoted a 50bhp increase lol and that i beat a ferrari off the mark lol

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
as has been said so many times, in so many threads. If the "chips" were so effective and reliable, dont you think car manufacturers would fit them, rather than spending bucketloads of money tuning engines.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
as has been said so many times, in so many threads. If the "chips" were so effective and reliable, dont you think car manufacturers would fit them, rather than spending bucketloads of money tuning engines.
As thumpjunkie said:

You could argue the same about the 84bhp Vs 103bhp Rover 25s though...

·
Registered
5,785 Posts
Well, IMO he's wrong. The 84bhp engine is a de-tuned version of the 103bhp engine in reality. The chips claim to increase a standard engines power. The 84bhp engine has been ineffect, wound back, cheaper insurance I suspect.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I put one of these things on my first car which was a rover 214sli, deffinatly made it quicker. But can damage your engine after a period of time. it just elimanates your MAF and tells the ECU that the air the engine is receiving is very cold. This changes timing etc of the engine, makes the engine run leaner i think it is. So can give good perfomance increase but in a bad way.

G

·
Well for an unbiased opinion...if these things really were so effective and all the rest and as as cost effective, why dont they get added during production, but then again, looking at peoples feedback on ebay, people say that these do make a difference and ive read a detailed report of a guy with a standard Ford KA who managed to knock a sec of his 0-60 time with it.
And instead of blowing the engine at 90,000 miles ..it now goes quicker....60,000 miles ...but hey he knocked a second off his 0-60 ..... WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS IN A FORD KA!!!!!

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
wow this is a blast from the past! i must say i have learnt a lot since this thread was posted :)

·
aka 25inprogress
7,940 Posts
lol i love people that don't understand things like bore wash. Yeah he may have gone a bit quicker in his Ka but for how long? my mate fitted one of these to his car and 6k later it was dead. Although there are some for the derv's that are good, i was at a RR day with seatcupra.net, and for the 25quid chip a guy was running 20bhp over standard with a very smooth power curve and fueling was perfect to.

·
Registered
9,822 Posts
lol i love people that don't understand things like bore wash. Yeah he may have gone a bit quicker in his Ka but for how long? my mate fitted one of these to his car and 6k later it was dead. Although there are some for the derv's that are good, i was at a RR day with seatcupra.net, and for the 25quid chip a guy was running 20bhp over standard with a very smooth power curve and fueling was perfect to.
For the cinqs, there was a £55 chip you replaced the existing ECU one with, it was RR proven to give 3-4BHP (on a 54BHP 1.1 8V petrol engine), but more importantly, it did away with the evil flatspot the engines had at 2500rpm.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts