MG ZR Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been pissed off with my car lately ... its been doing some weird shit and its starting to scare me. some of the things that have been hapening are things like turning engine on when its cold and the engine imediatly cutting out, revving by itself and juddering quite a lot when ideling.... but to top it off i parked up today and turned the engine off... when i tried to turn it back on there was nothing there, it defo wasent a flat battery cos my cd player came on but as i went to turn the key all the way it went off and a amber engine management light came on.

i sat there for 15 trying it over and over again before it eventually popped back to life.

does anyone know what this could have been as its starting to worry me.

cheers

·
Registered
556 Posts
When you tried to start it, did it just click?

If so, the solenoid on the starter could be sticking in the cold conditions. Persuation with a hammer sometimes sorts this.

·
Registered
258 Posts
"juddering quite a lot when ideling"
i've been told this might b the auto choke with the cold weather.i get this but only first time my car is started in the morning.......

G

·
Stu said:
When you tried to start it, did it just click?

If so, the solenoid on the starter could be sticking in the cold conditions. Persuation with a hammer sometimes sorts this.
That wouldnt put the management light on so I think it is something more serious than that.

certainly sounds like there is something wrong with the management systems somewhere. Looks like a trip to a dealer to get it put on the diagnostics

·
Registered
556 Posts
True

Always good to rule out the obvious and can do at home first. Especially at christmas.

There may afterall be more than one problem here. No doubt a dealer trip is going to be required to sort it, but if it can be started reliably, then it is useable until it goes in.

G

·
I did have a problem with starting a while ago. I would put the key in and turn it...nothing. Everything else worked Ok but nothing form the starter not even a click. Changing relays made no difference or cleaning the starter connections.

Sometimes it would start first time other times it wouldnt start at all for several minutes. The key could be held hard over and then just start when it felt like it.

To cut a long story short, I got into a huge argument with one dealer who tried to tell me it was my fault/an adjustment/a loose both etc and said not covered by warranty. A decent dealer spotted it straight away and it was the ign switch.

This has an induction coil in it that interrogates the key fob. If it is the proper fob, then it allows the engine to start if not then it wont.

Anyway, ever since then I have never had the problem

·
Registered
556 Posts
That will be the transponder mechanism.

It should have started bleeping if it failed to read the transponder in the fob. This is probably what confused the other dealer.

Good to hear it was sorted. Could have been part of what the starting issue here was. Always good to have options to throw at the dealer.

G

·
Stu said:
That will be the transponder mechanism.

It should have started bleeping if it failed to read the transponder in the fob. This is probably what confused the other dealer.

Good to hear it was sorted. Could have been part of what the starting issue here was. Always good to have options to throw at the dealer.
That was right but it was obviously recognising the signal to eliminate the audible warning but not to release the immobilser. The other dealer is notrious though for poor diagnostics as I have had several other people write to me with similar stories of incompetence. Luckily there is a decent dealer not much further away who does know what they are on about. :up:

·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cheers 4 the help everyone ... its in for its mot soon so ill get them to have a look then.

seemed to run fine yesterday night....

·
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
few days on and its running smoothly ... aint been doing no daft stuttering .... started fine each time...

i think its cos i went a bit mad when it was icy haha i got a bit pissed of with me car and started doing canny high speed 180s and reverse 180's ... twas canny gud. must have scared it lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts