MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
CheeseKitten
16,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just sent this to all users on my server here:

The time it takes for the server to back-up has increased from 40 minutes to just over two hours.

The back-up of the server this morning included the backing up of 24358 mail messages in 1285 folders across 50 mailboxes. That’s a lot of mail.

Could all users please keep an eye on their accounts, maybe delete any old or no longer relevent mails and also any old forwarded mail as they tend to contain image files which are fairly hefty and take up considerable server bandwidth.

Examples include mails with many replies back and forth, in these cases only the most recent mail needs to be kept as it will contain all the previous mails copied in the bottom of it.

Note: Some mails may have been auto archived.

Thanks in advance for your co-operation…any problems let me know.

JB

Im now being slated because people don’t want to remove all the crappy forwards from their accounts….whose bloody server is it anyway???
](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

·
CheeseKitten
16,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Red ones please!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I would point out that if the server failed one day and the most recent backup had not completed because it took too long then they would rightly complain about the loss of their most recent emails. I would also tell them that it is the responsibility of all users to perform basic mailbox housekeeping on a regular basis to help keep the service running for all users.

Stupid users.... Stick to your guns! You're doing the right thing.

·
CheeseKitten
16,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx....we've only had that server since 25th of July as well!! Shocking!!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
we had over a million emails sent and stored on our server at work :( /fluffle, gotta love having a SAN with god knows how many TB of space :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts