MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well i had a problem with huge loss in power, run diagnostics on it and it was showing to be maf sensor, as was drivin it was showin that when i 'booted it' the actual air flow went down where the should be was going up. confussed but i then decided to disconnect it and the engine went bk to original running perfect i reconnect it again as engine running and keep opening throttle and back to loss of power again?!
so im now running without MAF connected will this do any harm??
anybody else had similar problem??

cheers sean

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
no wont do harm but the car will not or should not go above the 4k mark on the revs, it is best to get repaired though mate approx £170 to do as i have had this problem but was covered under warranty, also have a look at rover-rons website he sell some stuff which i swear by the sensor controler for 59.99 is amazing but may only work when yours is fixed the extra power off the turbo u get is great.

will get website for u now mate

·
Registered
2,898 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hiya dude thankyou for that, do you still use one at the moment? still slightly confussed on the difference between a MAF and a MAFAM. have you done anything else to your car?

cheers

sean

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
i have done a de-cat, performance backbox, MEFAM and on and of my k&n apollo (depending on how long the trip is lol). looking to do a remap now and see what its like on a rolling road

mefam just basicly makes the turbo more responsive it amps yor maf sensor u will feel the pick up at 1.5k and 4k (revs) i use mine when my maf was ABOUT to die on me and it work amazing, and use it now with my new maf and still works good and the good thing is there is a dial so u can select what u think works best, its confusing but comes with detailed instructions and if you still dont under stand rover-ron on mgrover.org is always around and happy to help. sign up on there and mail him tell him i sent u from here and just ask him about it but he will prob advise (if the maf is totaly dead) u to get a new one for op performance, but they do work and i am happy to recomend it to anyone

·
Registered
730 Posts
My understanding of a MAFAM is that it helps with two things. First, it enables you to switch from a Bosch to a Pierbergh (sp?) MAF. The second, it enables you to increase the signal boost of the maf, as it they tend to deteriorate over the miles. However, a MAFAM does not increase the performance of the car. It should just restore lost performance.

I think when Bosch MAFs where around £250 each and they tend to die around 30-40k miles, a MAFAM is a really good idea as they will save you money. However, you can get Bosch MAFs for around £35 now and you would struggle to get money back.

·
Banned
1,220 Posts
My understanding of a MAFAM is that it helps with two things. First, it enables you to switch from a Bosch to a Pierbergh (sp?) MAF. The second, it enables you to increase the signal boost of the maf, as it they tend to deteriorate over the miles. However, a MAFAM does not increase the performance of the car. It should just restore lost performance.

I think when Bosch MAFs where around £250 each and they tend to die around 30-40k miles, a MAFAM is a really good idea as they will save you money. However, you can get Bosch MAFs for around £35 now and you would struggle to get money back.
Be aware that the cheap bosch MAFs could be part of the faulty batch that was around some time ago.

Better to get a MAFAM and MAF from rover ron.

Cheers
Dave

·
Registered
730 Posts
Be aware that the cheap bosch MAFs could be part of the faulty batch that was around some time ago.

Better to get a MAFAM and MAF from rover ron.

Cheers
Dave
Yes, there are issues with the Bosch Mafs and some batches are suspect. However, I dont see the logic in paying 4x the price for a Pierbergh and MAFAM, to avoid getting a duff Bosch Maf. If the MAF is poor, exchange it. The problem is knowing if your new MAF is a duff.

To me, it is more than just being cost effective, I just dont like adding things to my car, unless really necessary to meet my objectives. I am rather conservative in that way.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
If anyone is interested in a free-ish MAFAM, PM me.

I bought one for the ZS (same engine) when I was going through the 'difficulties' and took it off before selling her. Still sitting in a box in the garage. With Pierburg MAF and remote Temp sensor.

If you wan't to paypal me a £10 for postage I'll pop it in the mail.

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
pmed mate may solve my maf problem too as am running on a mefam at full 3pm position

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Right-ee-ho.

After a little chat with Jay ZR abut what's the difference between the Pierburg & Bosch sensor I went to my garage and took some piccies.

Bosch MAF:-

Bosch side by side with Pierburg MAF:-

Pierburg MAF and MAFAM:-

As far as I can tell the reason the Bosch MAF is so expensive is that it is a) more complicated as it has a built in temperature sensor, b) much more sensitive.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts