MG ZR Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever bought a set of these?

just wondering what the quality is like and if they fit nicely, thinkin of either buyin a set and replacing the standard sill protectors or maybe getting the existing ones engraved with the ZR logo.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not the best of pics and the car has not been washed for a few days ;)
cheers andy, i was thinking they actually fit where the original silver plates are! how very wrong i was lol, they do look quite cool though, think i might have to get me some, cheers mate

·
Registered
189 Posts
cheers andy, i was thinking they actually fit where the original silver plates are! how very wrong i was lol, they do look quite cool though, think i might have to get me some, cheers mate
ive got some and ive REPLACED the original ones, looks smart mate go for it!!

·
Dirty user
31,429 Posts
Yeah you can put then there...but i decided on having the both :D

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah you can put then there...but i decided on having the both :D
cool cheers :) ill get some ordered up and see what i prefer when they come, yrs look really cool tho andy so might go for that look, plus will protect the paintwork there too from uncareful friends in trainers!

·
Dirty user
31,429 Posts
cool cheers :) ill get some ordered up and see what i prefer when they come, yrs look really cool tho andy so might go for that look, plus will protect the paintwork there too from uncareful friends in trainers!
Thats the reason i put them there lol

women and bloody high heals :D

·
Registered
7,532 Posts
Believe this or not, I designed those in conjunction with Lockwood International. For doing so I was given the very first set free and was given the option of either having a small percentage of every sales or a reduction on any that I ordered that could then gbe sold on at a profit to myself.

I asked if this deal could be made open to this forum (which it was). I dont know if it still is.

At risk of boring everyone this is the whole story. When I first bought the ZR it was in replacement for a 214Si. Anyone that has had one of these will know that they sport a nice set of stainless steel sill plates with ROVER etched into them. The ZR has little skinny plain versions which I thought looked awful.

I decided to try and get some made and approached several companies with a few designs, one of which I still use today which is basically the slanted MG logo as used in X-power but with ZR in place of X-Power. I also used this logo and variations to make stainless steel engine plates to order (I think a few people may still have them)

To get the right font for the ZR I scanned a real set of badges into the computer and used that. All the companies I approached either want a lot of money for a large production run or just were not interested.

Lockwood International already made kick plates for various cars so in desperation I contacted them and asked if they were going to do any for the (as then new) MG ZR. They didnt reckon there was a market but I managed to persuade them there was and that I already had some designs.

To cut a long story short they ended up being interested and liked the designs but couldnt use the MG logo due to copyright. We tried several different designs using the ZR font, some with lines some without some with multi lines etc and in the end we all agreed on the current versions.

I sent them the skinny little original plates off mine which were used as a template and for length etc and the results were what you see today.

I dont know how far back the archive for this forum goes, but if you can go back about 4 years or so, there should be this story and the discount that was handed over to this forum.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts